"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-23-2005, 05:22 PM   #11
Certified Executive Chef

When I was young, my mom had an Amana and I did not know there was any other kind.

Old 03-23-2005, 06:34 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I'm not 100% sure of the brand, but my husband thinks it was a GE and I think it may have been a Whirlpool. It definitely was not a Kenmore.

Old 03-23-2005, 07:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
My folks had a freezer on the bottom (Sub Zero). It actually just broke and is going to be very expensive to fix. I do not know if they liked it or not, but I couldn't stand it. Because you have to stack things one on top of the other, if you ever want something on the bottom then you have to go digging and pulling everything out. You can't just move something to the side to see what is back there like in a side by side or freezer on top.

Yes cold air sinks so it would seem to make sense to have the freezer on the bottom, but in my parents model, when you open the freezer, the sides are open too so all the cold air spills out anyway.
Yeah, my bad back says -- no can do!
Old 03-23-2005, 09:10 PM   #14
Cook

I have looked at bottom freezers before, and I really don't like the idea of having it located there. I've always had a top freezer, and have always had good experiences with them. Also, not having to stoop so far down to get something is always a big plus.

MrCoffee
Old 03-24-2005, 06:56 PM   #15
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee
I have looked at bottom freezers before, and I really don't like the idea of having it located there. I've always had a top freezer, and have always had good experiences with them. Also, not having to stoop so far down to get something is always a big plus.

MrCoffee
MC that is the whole idea of the freezer below, you are always into the fridge part much more often than the freezer.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:08 PM   #16
Cook

Well, I can reach everything in the frige part as well as I can in the freezer, with the top mount. It is much easier for me to retrieve things in a top freezer as well, and I don't have to go digging. I have seen refrigerators with a drawer-type freezer as well, but with one of them you might as well have a chest freezer. Don't get me wrong, though. A bottom freezer does have its niche market, and it will serve its purpose for those who prefer it.

MrCoffee
Old 03-24-2005, 07:43 PM   #17
Senior Cook

MC - So, is your refrigerator on 3' legs or something so that you don't have to stoop down to get things out of say the crisper drawer for example? Even if you have to stoop to get something out of a bottom freezer model, you are only going to have to do that once, maybe twice, in one day. Things I need to retrieve most often makes more sense to me that they be at above knee/waist height.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:10 PM   #18
Cook

Well, no, it's not on 3' legs and I still have to stoop down to get to the crisper. But, I don't use the crisper very often either, less often then the freezer in fact. But as you say, there are those who will use the crisper far more often then they would the freezer, hence the bottom freezer available on some models.

MrCoffee
Old 03-24-2005, 11:19 PM   #19
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee
Come to think of it, I think I might have worded that wrong . I meant to say that a bottom freezer doesn't work as well for me. That doesn't mean it won't work for others! My error, and yes, a bottom freezer is definitely handy for those who need and appreciate the feature .

MrCoffee
Old 03-26-2005, 10:11 AM   #20
Head Chef

In my house I chose to go with a seperate freezer and a seperate refrigerator. Sharing the two (either top bottom, bottom top or side by side) never gave me enough space either in the refrigerator or freezer. I have to say I am sure glad I went that route.

Now I have plenty of space in my freezer to stack up stuff I need to and have ample space in my refrigerator for gallons and gallons of milk bottles and juices for my growing boys.

I have a GE Monogram built in series. They are tall and have tons of storage.