Brand New Deep Fryer....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cooked a pound of shrimp in it this evening. Just floured the shrimp, and they were ok, but a tempura batter would have been better.

I think tomorrow night, it's fritters night.

I have a dozen nice sized jalapenos and some cream cheese and bacon also. Sounds like a plan coming together.

I think fast food place use the same oil for frys, chicken and fish. I have had frys from fast food that have tasted a bit like fish or chicken. I worked with a guy who was allergic to fish and couldn't eat chicken or frys from fast food places that served fried fish.

Cooked a pound of shrimp in it this evening. Just floured the shrimp, and they were ok, but a tempura batter would have been better.

I think tomorrow night, it's fritters night.

I have a dozen nice sized jalapenos and some cream cheese and bacon also. Sounds like a plan coming together.
Deep fried ABT's?

I think fast food place use the same oil for frys, chicken and fish. I have had frys from fast food that have tasted a bit like fish or chicken. I worked with a guy who was allergic to fish and couldn't eat chicken or frys from fast food places that served fried fish.

My father wound up in the hospital because a restaurant he ate at uses the same oil for everything. He became allergic to shellfish several years ago.

I don't really notice any flavor from one item to the next, but I usually save breaded shrimp and items other than fries until right before I change oil. Not all the time, but usually.

Okay Timothy, change your oil and get ready for the best Sunday brunch you ever made your own self!

Monte Cristo (serving size 1/2 sandwich)
Ingredients:
  • 1½ cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1½ cups milk
  • 8 slices Texas Toast bread
  • 1 lb Sliced ham
  • 1 lb Sliced turkey
  • ½ lb Sliced Swiss cheese
  • box of toothpicks
Instructions:

Preheat deep fryer to 360[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ºF[/FONT]

Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Beat eggs with milk; stir into flour mixture until smooth. Make 4 sandwiches with Texas Toast bread, distributing the ham, turkey and Swiss cheese evenly, and cut in half diagonally, corner to corner. Secure each sandwich half with toothpicks.

Put basket on bottom of fryer (If you put the battered sandwich halves in the basket, they will stick!). Dip each sandwich half in batter to coat. Gently place two sandwich halves at a time into the deep fryer and fry for 3 minutes, turning once, until golden brown on both sides. Lift basket to remove sandwich halves from oil, remove from basket with tongs, and drain on paper towels. Repeat, two sandwich halves at a time.

Remove toothpicks, plate, and dust with powdered sugar. Serve with a huge dollop of strawberry preserves. Add a sliced strawberry salad with sour cream, crème fraiche, or whipped cream, if desired

ABTs are stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon and typically smoked. Stuffing is usually some combo of seasoned cream cheese and a Lil Smokie.

Okay Timothy, change your oil and get ready for the best Sunday brunch you ever made your own self!

Monte Cristo

Dang, Sir Loin, that sounds really, really good. I'll try it, but not right away. I have to get used to the fryer first. I wasn't very happy with the shrimp last night. I got lazy and didn't bother with a batter. I just dusted them with a boxed "Fry Mix" and cooked them. They turned out over-cooked at 5 minutes. Very over-cooked. Pretty chewy.

On the next batch, I'll butterfly the shrimp and batter them in a tempura batter. Also, I'll cook them for 3 minutes instead of five. I thing that will make a world of difference in the outcome.

ABTs are stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon and typically smoked. Stuffing is usually some combo of seasoned cream cheese and a Lil Smokie.

Thanks Andy, I surmised that by her reference to my post listing those same items. I was curious what the actual initials stand for in A-B-T.

Ok, you win. I would have NEVER guessed that! :ermm::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

You want Atomic, make em with my Fatalii peppers! They're about the same size as Jalapenos, but 100 times hotter.

No thanks! Once I go to the trouble of making them, I like to be able to eat them.

No thanks! Once I go to the trouble of making them, I like to be able to eat them.
You're right of course, the Fatalii ABTs would be too hot to gain any enjoyment from eating them.

They are the type of pepper that is meant for seasoning only. Diced very, very tiny and added to a sautee or broth to add spice to a dish.

They are intended to add spice, not flavor. Some folks like to eat a dish as intended by the person who wrote the recipe, but add a bit of spice to it.

That is how to do that without affecting the intended flavor.

Wanted a T-Bone this evening, so I tried something I've never done. I deep fried it.

In 375 oil for exactly 2 minutes after bringing the steak to room temp. The steak was less than an inch thick. Maybe 3/4".

I didn't think that would be long enough, but it was actually perfectly rare, the way I love steak.

The meat around the edges was a little tough, as it had three sides cooking at once, but the inside meat was nice and rare and really good.

Don't think I'll do it again though. The grilled flavor beats out the deep fat fried flavor for steak IMHO.

It was an interesting test though.

Last edited:
Wanted a T-Bone this evening, so I tried something I've never done. I deep fried it.

In 375 oil for exactly 2 minutes after bringing the steak to room temp. The steak was less than an inch thick. Maybe 3/4".

I didn't think that would be long enough, but it was actually perfectly rare, the way I love steak.

The meat around the edges was a little tough, as it had three sides cooking at once, but the inside meat was nice and rare and really good.

Don't think I'll do it again though. The grilled flavor beats out the deep fat fried flavor for steak IMHO.

It was an interesting test though.
We may need to have an intervention Timmy!! Step away from the deep fryer!! :LOL::LOL:

Ha! That's pretty funny msmofet. I promise, I'll take it easy on the fried foods now! I swear!
Fried foods are fine but when you do that to a beautiful piece of beef it's a crime. (<sigh>) Promise you will NEVER disrespect a nice piece of beef that way again!!

Last edited:
Next time you feel the urge to deep fry beef do a chicken fried steak with a cheap cube steak.

Fried foods are fine but when you do that to a beautiful piece of beef it's a crime. (<sigh>) Promise you will NEVER disrespect a nice piece of beef that way again!!

But, but....I ate the whole thing! ha! it was just an experiment. I swear, don't spank me, I'll never do it again!

On second thought, a little spanking might just be fun...:ROFLMAO::mrgreen:

But, but....I ate the whole thing! ha! it was just an experiment. I swear, don't spank me, I'll never do it again!

On second thought, a little spanking might just be fun...:ROFLMAO::mrgreen:
:ohmy: Men are all alike!! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom