"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Atomic Buffalo Turds
Ok, you win. I would have NEVER guessed that!

You want Atomic, make em with my Fatalii peppers! They're about the same size as Jalapenos, but 100 times hotter.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #52
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Ok, you win. I would have NEVER guessed that!

You want Atomic, make em with my Fatalii peppers! They're about the same size as Jalapenos, but 100 times hotter.
No thanks! Once I go to the trouble of making them, I like to be able to eat them.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #53
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
No thanks! Once I go to the trouble of making them, I like to be able to eat them.
You're right of course, the Fatalii ABTs would be too hot to gain any enjoyment from eating them.

They are the type of pepper that is meant for seasoning only. Diced very, very tiny and added to a sautee or broth to add spice to a dish.

They are intended to add spice, not flavor. Some folks like to eat a dish as intended by the person who wrote the recipe, but add a bit of spice to it.

That is how to do that without affecting the intended flavor.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #54
Executive Chef

Wanted a T-Bone this evening, so I tried something I've never done. I deep fried it.

In 375 oil for exactly 2 minutes after bringing the steak to room temp. The steak was less than an inch thick. Maybe 3/4".

I didn't think that would be long enough, but it was actually perfectly rare, the way I love steak.

The meat around the edges was a little tough, as it had three sides cooking at once, but the inside meat was nice and rare and really good.

Don't think I'll do it again though. The grilled flavor beats out the deep fat fried flavor for steak IMHO.

It was an interesting test though.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:13 PM   #55
Master Chef

Quote:
Wanted a T-Bone this evening, so I tried something I've never done. I deep fried it.

In 375 oil for exactly 2 minutes after bringing the steak to room temp. The steak was less than an inch thick. Maybe 3/4".

I didn't think that would be long enough, but it was actually perfectly rare, the way I love steak.

The meat around the edges was a little tough, as it had three sides cooking at once, but the inside meat was nice and rare and really good.

Don't think I'll do it again though. The grilled flavor beats out the deep fat fried flavor for steak IMHO.

It was an interesting test though.
We may need to have an intervention Timmy!! Step away from the deep fryer!!
Old 12-24-2011, 11:23 PM   #56
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
We may need to have an intervention Timmy!! Step away from the deep fryer!!
Ha! That's pretty funny msmofet. I promise, I'll take it easy on the fried foods now! I swear!
Old 12-24-2011, 11:28 PM   #57
Master Chef

Quote:
Ha! That's pretty funny msmofet. I promise, I'll take it easy on the fried foods now! I swear!
Fried foods are fine but when you do that to a beautiful piece of beef it's a crime. (<sigh>) Promise you will NEVER disrespect a nice piece of beef that way again!!
Old 12-24-2011, 11:29 PM   #58
Master Chef

Next time you feel the urge to deep fry beef do a chicken fried steak with a cheap cube steak.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:52 PM   #59
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Fried foods are fine but when you do that to a beautiful piece of beef it's a crime. (<sigh>) Promise you will NEVER disrespect a nice piece of beef that way again!!
But, but....I ate the whole thing! ha! it was just an experiment. I swear, don't spank me, I'll never do it again!

On second thought, a little spanking might just be fun...
Old 12-25-2011, 12:01 AM   #60
Master Chef

Quote:
But, but....I ate the whole thing! ha! it was just an experiment. I swear, don't spank me, I'll never do it again!

On second thought, a little spanking might just be fun...
Men are all alike!!