"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 06-11-2005, 10:56 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Bread baking -- which oven? make? model?

As a newbie to this forum, I am probably asking a question that has been answered before. If so, bear with me.

I am remodeling my kitchen and will replace a very old Roper standard 24-inch double oven with a new 30-inch convection single oven. Existing wiring is adequate. Cabinet will be new.

Budget is a factor, always. Bread baking is the main use of the oven. I have read all the sales literature about various high-end wall ovens. Most of the semi-pro units are out of the budget range (say $1000-1500).

Jenn-air and Kitchenaid have models that, with contractor discount, fall into the budgeted amount. Yet, the Kitchenaid unit seems to be a bit shy on the wattage for baking (2000 watts), compared with most other ovens of that size and type.

Any suggestions? Success stories? Recommendations?

Armentarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:03 PM   #2
Master Chef
It sounds like you probably have a couple of specific models in mind. Don't know which models of Jenn-air or KitchenAid so I can't begin to help you compare them.

I bake bread every week - I live in an apartment and have a Hotpoint stove/oven - nothing fancy, no problems. A convection oven doesn't need to get as hot because if the convection air flow - most times you actually have to reduce the heat when baking in convection mode.

Try to find an appliance dealer that carries both brands and go have a talk with them in person. Get them to show you both models, in good and bad points of each, and then ask then, "If you were buying one of these with your money to put in your how, which would you get and why?"

DON'T tell them you not going to buy it from them!

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 08:30 PM   #3
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
Consumer Reports rates the Thermadore C301B[W] highest, followed by two JennAir models (JJW8530DD and JJW9530DD)and then the GE Profile JT915WF. The KitchenAid is al the way down at 7th in their tests

Here are their Quick Picks:

Best for most:
2 Jenn-Air $1,110
6 GE $850

The Jenn-Air (2) and GE (6) are roomy and very good at broiling. The Jenn-Air was better at baking, and it has a covered bottom element. The GE doesn’t, but it costs a few hundred dollars less. If you want convection cooking with more oven space, consider the Jenn-Air (3), $1,500
Where you are is where you belong, it is where you are going that you can change
SpiceUmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 08:34 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
I have a Jen air convection/standard oven..I added a Hearth kit to it for baking breads..Does a wonderful job. Espically on breads where you want a crisp crust, it is wonderful..Other breads and foccacia come out a beautiful golden brown..

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 01:41 PM   #5
Senior Cook
Send a message via MSN to msalper
I'm searching for a oven to cook bread also pasties...
Can I find Jenn-Air or other oven like Jenn in Europe??
Could you please suggest me another if you know please?
Thank you in advance...
"Don't let the chain of love end with you......Alper"
msalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 07:52 PM   #6
Executive Chef
Did you know a roper brand is actually made by whirlpool just less bells and whistles but just as reliable.

Also I have never liked the Wolf Brand gas stoves the ovens will not stay calibrated and the flat tops are hard to adjust and so on.
I also think to make good bread you really just need a large good stone to put in oven.

jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote