"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #31
Head Chef

If you like kneading the bread by hand, don't buy a bread machine. That's the whole reason why other people buy one, they do NOT like or have the ability to knead it themselves.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #32
Cook

I've never thought of that, the way i see it is that if you don't have enough time to make bread by hand aBM is the way to go-mixes and bakes in one unit.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #33
Head Chef

That is true, but lots of people use the machines to prepare the dough only and then finish the baking in the oven. One reason is they don't like the hole in the bottom of the loaf or the shape of the loaf.

Making pizza dough is fun to do in an ABM, along with dough for homemade hamburger and hotdog buns.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:45 AM   #34
Cook

Talking

I never thought of just making bread & pizza dough in a BM. I'm a purist since I watched my mother making it by hand, I did try it with her stand mixer but felt uncomfortable that it didnt look the same as the hand method
Old 04-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #35
Master Chef

For most things I usually use my KA 6-qt mixer (with the "C" dough hook) to mix and kneed my dough for about 5 minutes - then turn it out on my board and finish kneeding by hand till it feels right (usually just a minute). I usually make 2 1.5-lb loaves at a time this way - once a week was usually enough for my step-mom and me. I've made bread totally by hand (up until about 12 years ago when I got my KA), and I tried it a couple of times with my aunt's BM.

There are some things where I have to do a little more of the kneeding by hand.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

I found a bread machine at a yard sale today for 5 bucks. It had all the parts, and I found the manual online - I might be encouraged to make more bread now that the hard work is taken care of.

Just have to go to the store and buy some yeast - I only have the rapid rise stuff in the three envelopes - and apparently that isn't what I need?
Old 05-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #37
Cook

If you have 3 packets of yeast you have a start, check for an experation date on the package. You can use this yeast if its labeled for BM's, but let the yeast come to room temperature before starting.

If the package does not say "for use for BM's" there is the flieschmanns brand in a jar and its lists the measurements for one enevelope and you will also have to bring this to room temp.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #38
Cook

I forgot to mention theres flour for BM's as well