"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Bread machine v. kneaded by hand

When my kids were small I made all our challah by hand, frozen for a month at a time, and I remember we really loved it.

Enter the DAK into our lives, and while it was very convenient, we never really loved the taste of the bread it mixed and kneaded (and then I baked in our oven.)

It died the same week as the food proc. (see other thread) and I think I'm gonna stick to store bought bread - for a while, at least - as I'm afraid to get another b.m. and us not really liking the bread.

Has anyone had this experience ?

Old 01-11-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
Head Chef

I love my bread machine, but I can't figure out how such would affect how your bread tasted when it was mixed and kneaded. Good ingredients going in means good bread (dough) coming out.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:17 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

In my 14 years of life I have never used a bread machine...The way I learned to make bread is completely by hand. I learned from my grandma. she does it like making pasta, a big pile of flour with a well in the middle, add in the wet ingredients and knead it togeather. It makes an amazing textured bread. My favorite
Old 01-11-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Been baking bread close to 40 years and began by doing all the work by hand. Now, with carpal tunnel and arthritis in my hands, it's difficult and painful to do all the necessary kneading. After a discussion with some of the staff bakers at King Arthur Flour, I use my bread machine to do the kneading and first rise of many of my bread products. (I make ALL the bread products consumed in our house.)

The folks at King Arthur told me they found the machines do a superior job at kneading dough, which resulted in a fine finished product. That has been my experience.

I made a batch of cinnamon rolls today. The dough was silky smooth and elastic. Some of the most beautiful yeast dough I've ever worked with.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:38 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I have made 10's of thousands of loaves of bread by hand (used to work in a bread bakery!)

I am on my 7th bread machine. Been using one since 1996. I can make a mean loaf of bread entirely in a bread machine. It takes time to learn to work with any given machine. I rely on the recipes that come with the machine. Currently my bread machine either bakes or kneads all my breads.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
Head Chef

If you and your family "fell out of love" with your challah when you started using the bread machine for mixing and kneading, I wonder if you altered your original recipe to fit the capacity of the bread machine. From my brief experience (and very limited with the bread machine), I have noticed that bread machines make one loaf of bread at a time, and almost all of my non-bread machine recipes make two loaves of bread. So if you halved your original recipe when you started using the machine perhaps something was lost in that transition.

Then again, sometimes when we have the same thing repeditively, we lose our desire for it, and can even be put off by the sight or smell of it. Even if adhering to religious custom, it doesn't mean we won't lose our taste for a particular food. This happened to me when DW made the same meal on Mondays, week after week after week after week after week, until I finally asked her if she was trying to bore me to death to collect the insurance money. It took almost two years before I would eat that particular meal again.

Maybe making a different type of bread like whole wheat or rye or Italian will stop you from buying the chemical laced products on the grocer's shelves. As far as the machine goes, I got rid of mine and either make the dough in my stand mixer or by hand. I never make less than two loaves of bread, and I can do it a lot quicker in my stand mixer than with a bread machine.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:56 AM   #7
Master Chef

I love my bread machine and I'm an old hand at making dough from scratch as well.......I see what my machine does in the way of kneading and..... like Katie E. I no longer have the manual dexterity that I used to have so a machine really does help but I do have to sit and watch and prod it along usually by adding more flour......do any of you have a great challah recipe? my daughter's guyfriend is Jewish and may come down in July for our nephew's wedding......if he's crazy enough :)
Old 01-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Both of my bread machines are large capacity, so I can make multiple loaves of bread. When I make plain loaf bread, I get two large loaves. If I'm making baguettes, I can make 2 or 3 depending on how large I want them.

I rarely have to adjust the flour of any of my bread recipes because I bake/cook using an electronic scale.

I've had one of my machines for about 10 years, but couldn't tell you how either of my machines actually bakes bread in their own pan. Never used them for that. Maybe I should try sometime.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #9
Master Chef

Katie, I'm like you........my bread machines are solely there to mix up and knead the dough and then you and I go off from there............my new bread machine needs watching.........like a teen............teen machine........I've had a bread machine for over 15 years and it's still more reliable than the present one..............don't knead to watch this guy on the mix..........
Old 01-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
This happened to me when DW made the same meal on Mondays, week after week after week after week after week, until I finally asked her if she was trying to bore me to death to collect the insurance money. It took almost two years before I would eat that particular meal again.
I thought you were going to say that it took two years to get the spatula out of your ........