"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-07-2008, 10:55 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
One of the reasons I prefer to bake my bread in the oven is because I don't care for the shape of the bread machine pan and I also don't like the "belly button" that the bread paddle makes in the loaf.

Another reason I like using my machine on the DOUGH cycle is that I can get two loaves my way as opposed to one in the machine. I also far prefer the texture of the bread that I bake in my oven to that that is done in the bread machine.

Yes, most of the even basic machines have timers so that fresh bread can welcome you when you get up for breakfast.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:52 AM   #22
Executive Chef

When I say I use the dough cycle only, this means the machine kneads the dough and then completes 2 raising cycles. I have not been clear on that. I do not remove the dough when the machine has finished the kneading, I remove it when the dough cycle is complete. I do this to have control of the final raising and putting the bread in the oven when the dough has risen the proper amount. The bread machine will start the bake cycle automatically at a given minute, whether the dough has risen properly or not. My bread machine has the traditional shaped loaf pan. I just can not get a properly risen loaf of whole wheat bread out of it. And believe me I tried. When I remove the dough after the dough cycle is complete, I shape the dough and place it in the bread baking loaf pan, cover, let rise and bake off in the oven. I can produce a lovely loaf this way.

I do not like the idea of the water, flour and other ingredients sitting in the bread machine for any length of time, then have a timer to start the bread at a later time. Just a personal preference. We also have oatmeal or pancakes for breakfast, so do not need fresh bread in the morning.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:04 AM   #23
Senior Cook

I've got one that I use mainly for pizza dough. When I do bread, I'll do the dough in the machine and then bake in the oven.

I read some where that all bread machines are made by two companies, but will build them to different specs for various customers.

"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon."
Mary Pettibone Poole
Ask-A-Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:13 PM   #24
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
I own the Zojirushi.

If you can afford it, it's the one to get.

I would never, ever buy a Zojirushi bread machine. I had a Zojirushi two travel mug coffeemaker once and it was a piece of garbage. It leaked, it made lousy coffee, and it would not fill the two mugs equally.

A Zojirushi rice cooker I would buy, or a Zojirushi tea pot. The Japanese know how to make rice and tea. Coffee and bread are a different story.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:13 PM   #25
Executive Chef

But how do you know if the bread machine won't work until and unless you try it?

I also have a Zojirushi Rice Cooker, BTW.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #26
Executive Chef

corey, what has been your experience with your Zojirushi bread machine?

I definitely would not call my machine a piece of crap. It is a well built machine that has seen a lot of use and held up well. It just is not programmed to make whole wheat bread, nor have I been able to program it to make ww bread.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #27
Executive Chef

I absloutely LOVE mine, and that is my favorite thing to make in it - WW bread! I plan to use it this weekend fto make some more WW bread.

I mean, I also love my twoo K'Aid Stand Mixers and the Electrolux Assistant, but I just can't risist using the breadmachine because you don't have to do any of the work by hand if you don't want to.

Yours should be able to make WW bread. Don't see why it isn't.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
corey, what has been your experience with your Zojirushi bread machine?
That's what I've been trying to find out..... Something must make them so much better..... or not

I've only made one kind of bread in mine, like I think I said. What problem do you have making whole wheat bread? I'd like to give it a shot just to see if mine can make it.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:08 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Remember, this was years ago! I was working with the recipe that came with the machine; 5 cups whole wheat flour, 4 T. wheat gluten, etc. The loaf was too small and dense, for using that much flour. I talked with the fine folks at King Arthur flour and they suggested using the Basic White bread setting. The recipe I use now uses 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and produces a large loaf, just made one today, its beautiful.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

machines,machines ,machines

i thought i could't live without one. dropped hints and got it several christmas. i only used it twice, it is in my sons garage, i think. i also did not like the shape of loaf. bread wasn't much good either.

babe