Bread machines- who has one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, that's the thing about the vertical machines.

With mine (horizontal), I can clean the INSIDE of the loaf pan, but I must be careful to NEVER let the OUTSIDE of the pan get wet!

Last edited:
So why is it that some of you don't bake the bread in the bread machine? Because of the shape? And what shape is it? Really tall loaves?

I had a post on here somewhere, maybe even this topic;)

I slice the tall loaf down the side a couple times for my first couple of slices of warm bread, then for the rest, I lay the loaf down on that cut side, and have a more normal looking slice of bread for the rest of my slices. I do have to make the loaf on my machine's lowest setting to get a lighter crust, which I like, but definitely isn't "Wonderbreadesque" :LOL:

One of these days I'll have to get into making a loaf of bread more work for me, but I'm happy with my machine doing all the work for now.

It was this topic, Corazon. First page.
Here's another
firstegginaframe.jpg

That's close enough to a commercial looking slice for me.... for now that is.
I mean, isn't the idea of making homemade so it doesn't look and taste like commercially prepared food? ;)

So why is it that some of you don't bake the bread in the bread machine? Because of the shape? And what shape is it? Really tall loaves?
yup, i also didnt like the shape and found the crust too dark and thick for my taste, even on light setting. I also found bread done in the machine had a denser texture than if done in oven. i also use fresh yeast and that also doesnt work so well in the machine.

LOTS of reasons:rolleyes:

Do any of you have a unit that makes jam, meat loaf and bakes cakes as well? I've only make jam, but I still have yet to try meat loaf and a box cake mix in it.

I had a breadman I think a couple of years ago... used a couple dozen times, then... zip. nothing. For some reason I got a burr up my bum to get another bread machine (*my husband was simply thrilled.. :rolleyes:). This time I got the Zojirushi.. and so far, I love it!

My main reasons for buying it were the size (2 lb), shape (horizontal), and it received excellent reviews. I've used it more in the short time I've owned it then I did the old one. It does jam, meatloaf (that one kills me lol), whole wheat, dough, and bread. So far I've done bread, and pizza dough. I won't do meatloaf, and the wheat bread didn't work out so well. I plan to ask for a new mixer for my birthday and tackle wheat bread again sans bread machine.

I rarely rely on brand reputation anymore since a lot of companies are selling out for cheaper labor. Just because a company made a great product 20 years ago, sadly means very little these days.

YUM!!:w00t: A recent yeasty yummy.

Last edited:
I just picked one up from the Goodwill for $10. Used it a couple of times so far, first for a basic white loaf (turned out pretty good), then for a whole wheat loaf (yum!). Next I am gonna try as others have done and just let it kneed and rise then stick it in the bread pans I have to bake it...

This is an old thread, but I have a new question. No one has talked about - cost. I have three grocery stores nearby. Each has their own in-house bakery.

The only local person I talked with that has his own machine said "Yeah I make good bread, but be prepared to pay the price."

I can buy a warm French Bagette in the late afternoon for 99 cents. I can buy almost any kind of bread for under $3.00.

Is a bread-baking machine a good option for me?

I've often wondered if you save money or not, too.
Sure, you are getting a fantastic tasting loaf that is homemade, but bread loaves are on sale this week for $0.88 where I shop. How much cheaper can you actually make it?

There is nothing like coming downstairs in the morning and having the smell of freshly baked bread greet me.

I get all the ingredients in the pan and set it to bake over night. I also leave a stick of butter on the counter and add honey the next morning for some nice fresh honey butter.

This, with a cup of my homemade cocoa mix, is a breakfast that my boys request often.

I haven't used mine in awhile. When I do use it, I usually let the machine do the mixing and rise then finish out of the machine. Black olive and sun-dried tomato bread is my favorite.

I use my 30 year old bread machine 3 or 4 times a week. I haven't used the heat cycle for several years, but shape the bread and bake. I just scored an almost new Welbilt at a thrift store for $3.76. Looked like it had been used once or twice. If you find an old one, manuals are usually available on the internet. Gave the thrift store find to a friend with kids. The kids love it. May be the easiest recipes for kids available. Babe: You might try the machine for kneading and doing the shaping and baking yourself. At 4 or 5 bucks for decent bread, and 50 cents for homemade. I suspect that my machine is going to get even more use.

This is an old thread, but I have a new question. No one has talked about - cost. I have three grocery stores nearby. Each has their own in-house bakery.

The only local person I talked with that has his own machine said "Yeah I make good bread, but be prepared to pay the price."

I can buy a warm French Bagette in the late afternoon for 99 cents. I can buy almost any kind of bread for under $3.00.

Is a bread-baking machine a good option for me?

I've never figured out if there is a savings or not, but for me personally, there just is nothing like the smell of bread baking and the pride in feeding my kids bread I baked for them, even though I eat most of the bread. :angel:

I do both, bread machine and stand mixer/oven bread. I also buy the bagged bread on the shelf. There's just no comparison. Home baked tastes better.

As far as the bakery bread, my grocery store sucks, and I really don't know if it's any cheaper or not. I'm tickled to be able to do it at home, and with the bread machine, it's so easy too.

For me, I can never wait until it cools completely. Warm, home baked bread just can't be beat. If you're happy with what you get, the old adage applies, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. lol I recommend baking your own bread to everyone. A bread machine just does the work for you.

As far as I can tell, there isn't a savings baking your own bread unless you have a really big family and buy in bulk. Even then, probably not much better than breaking even. But with gas prices rising, that may change a little. For me, the offset is that it smells and tastes heavenly and it's more convenient. I don't run out of bread because I can make some more in no time.

It would surprise me if baking one's own bread was cheaper than buying. I bake for several reasons:

. Satisfaction at making something that pleases my taste.
. Aroma, Yup! the house smells great.
. Pride that others seem to like the fruit of my labor.
. I can pronounce every one of the ingredients, and I know they are fresh.
. I feel that it is a better quality product than what is available in stores.

Bread machine - I have three, one at the end of either of my arms, these are the primary machines and the only ones currently in use. The third machine we just found this weekend while cleaning out the basement. I ken we had one, I just did not know where it was. I'm not a bread snob. I currently do not have the necessary ingredients to use the machine. My Yeast is not instant yeast and I think I need to get a bag of gluten from somewhere. I will attend to this and try it again. Since I am a better cook than I was when we bought this thing, I am somewhat intrigued by the dough only cycle.

AC

Last edited:
I buy Red Star yeast in 2# bags and freeze it, King Arthur flour, store brand powdered milk, use buttermilk if I have it, and the only time I have had failures is when I forgot to put the paddle in the machine. As for cost, a pound loaf costs around 50 cents, and around 3 minutes of time, including clean up. I wouldn't know where to find gluten, and never check whether my yeast is instant or not.
A quick and easy white loaf. 1 tsp each yeast and salt, 1 tbs powdered milk, 2 tbs sugar, about 1/2 inch of a cube of butter, 2 1/3 cups flour, 1 cup water, add in any order in the machine. Start dough cycle. Around 2.5 hours in my machine, or leave it overnight for morning baking.

just fyi... I found vital wheat gluten in my local grocery store (Redners) and the local natural foods mart (David's Natural Foods).

I was kind of surprised to find it in the grocery store. I'm not certain, but I may have even seen it in the SuperFresh.

The natural food place is just one of those places that sells things like gluten free everything (ironic actually.. lol) and organic stuff galore.

The bread machine cookbook I use says it's good to use, but not a requirement. :glare: (I do religiously).

Back
Top Bottom