"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 11-27-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Breadmakers anyone?

So, anyone have a bread maker? I have a Just for dinner Westbend breadmaker. It is the best. Makes small loaves in only 45 minutes. Its so nice to be able to have fresh bread in as much time as it takes to cook dinner.
I remember when I was younger my parents had a large bread maker. The loaves were so large. Sandwiches out of the bread were huge. Now that its just me and my husband, having a little loaf of fresh bread is great. None goes to waste.
Just curious if anyone else uses a breadmaker.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I use my breadmaker several times a week. I make mostly dough and bake things off in the oven; bread for slicing, dinner rolls, pizza crusts...couldn't function without my bread machine!

Old 11-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I have 2 Welbilt bread machines and, often, have both of them running at the same time. However, I only use my machines to knead the dough and put it through the first rise.

Once the machine is done with those two processes, I shape my bread the way I want depending on what I'm making, then bake in the oven. I make ALL the bread Buck and I eat. When I say ALL, I mean it...loaf bread for toasting, sandwich bread, hamburger and hot dog buns, bagels, English muffins, Italian bread, baguettes, dinner rolls, you name it. I haven't bought commercially produced bread in too many years to count.

I wouldn't be without my bread machines.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
I make ALL the bread Buck and I eat. When I say ALL, I mean it...loaf bread for toasting, sandwich bread, hamburger and hot dog buns, bagels, English muffins, Italian bread, baguettes, dinner rolls, you name it. I haven't bought commercially produced bread in too many years to count.
I'd love to know more about this.
I hate running into the store to buy large rolls for loose meat sandwiches or hot dog buns when I'm in the mood for hotdogs, only to have the "leftovers" turn moldy if I don't eat them up right away.
Is it feasible for a guy (with a large appetite ) to make his own rolls when needed? Can you make just four rolls of a particular kind? A small loaf of Italian bread?
It's not like bread is expensive, but like I said, I hate running to the store when I'm in the mood that requires a certain type of bread only to throw out what doesn't get used right away.... or having to eat hamburgers three days in a row to use them up.
Freezing or refrigerating just doesn't cut it. Neither did trying to use the Foodsaver.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:59 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun Cook
Been wanting a bread machine for awhile but haven't gotten one yet. The one I have been looking at is the Zojirushi Home Bakery Supreme Bread Machine. It is so dang expensive though. So far, we have had too much else to spend money on around here to justify it. There is nothing the like taste or smell of home baked bread.

Jim
Old 11-27-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Cajun, I can't offer advice on different machines. I bought my first one in 1999 at a day-after-Thanksgiving sale for about $25. The second one I found at a thrift store for $2. They are both Welbilt and I couldn't be happier with them.

They don't have a whole lot of whistles and bells, which is fine for me because I primarily use them to do the kneading and first rise.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:20 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun Cook
Hi Katie, advice and information is always welcome. The reason I was looking at the Zojirushi was because it makes a horizontal loaf and plus a few other features I haven't found on others. I think I understand your point though. Would it not be better to just get an inexpensive one now and enjoy some fresh bread? Point well taken and I appreciate your input.

Jim
Old 11-27-2007, 08:38 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I'd love to know more about this.
I hate running into the store to buy large rolls for loose meat sandwiches or hot dog buns when I'm in the mood for hotdogs, only to have the "leftovers" turn moldy if I don't eat them up right away.
Is it feasible for a guy (with a large appetite ) to make his own rolls when needed? Can you make just four rolls of a particular kind? A small loaf of Italian bread?
It's not like bread is expensive, but like I said, I hate running to the store when I'm in the mood that requires a certain type of bread only to throw out what doesn't get used right away.... or having to eat hamburgers three days in a row to use them up.
Freezing or refrigerating just doesn't cut it. Neither did trying to use the Foodsaver.
I use 2 breadmakers at a time and make bread all the time but like Katie, I only use it for the dough and bake in my regular oven. (I recently got a big KitchenAid stand mixer, which I used for making double recipes of dough for Thanksgiving rolls.) Anyway, I found a recipe in Cooks Illustrated for buttery dinner rolls that I used for the first time for turkey day. The reason I used that recipe was that it gave directions for making the rolls and then freezing them (unbaked but after the second rise).

It said to freeze them on a cookie sheet for about 6 hours and then place the frozen rolls in a big zip lock bag. That way, you can take out how ever many rolls you want and pop them in the oven still frozen to have fresh baked rolls anytime. The testers said the rolls tasted just as good as the rolls baked immediately (never frozen) and suffered no loss of taste or texture as long as they were used within a month. By golly, they were right and the rolls were wonderful!

I think this would work great for someone like you and a bread maker would make the perfect amount of dough.

I'm sure there are many other recipes that can be frozen and baked later but I'm new to this so I don't know any. Katie E.................We need your knowledge and recipes!
Old 11-27-2007, 08:38 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Yeah, my first complaint with the earlier bread machines was that they made a "tall" loaf and not the more familiar horizontal one. The other challenge was the "bellybutton" the kneading paddle made in the final product.

Neither of those "problems" bother me anymore because I only use the machine to do the heavy lifting as it were. Once that's done, I shape my loaves, etc. and bake as necessary.

I have a variety of specialty bread pans that take care of all our bread-making needs.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:44 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Yeah, my first complaint with the earlier bread machines was that they made a "tall" loaf and not the more familiar horizontal one. The other challenge was the "bellybutton" the kneading paddle made in the final product.

Neither of those "problems" bother me anymore because I only use the machine to do the heavy lifting as it were. Once that's done, I shape my loaves, etc. and bake as necessary.

I have a variety of specialty bread pans that take care of all our bread-making needs.
I have one that makes the tall loaves and one with 2 paddles that makes the horizontal loaf but like you Katie, I bake in the oven. Really, once the dough is made and it's risen, baking is a snap! Plus I tend to do rolls and hoagies and breadsticks rather than loaves.

BTW One of mine (the horizontal loaf) I purchased used from ebay for $50 shipped and the other I got last Christmas from a One Day/One Deal website for $32 shipped (a refurb that looked brand new). So look around. Also check GoodWill and the Salvation Army.