Breadman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tonym

Assistant Cook
Hi new to DC. Have just purchased a Breadman machine TR520 love it. I have followed the recipe for rye bread as best I can. The bread tastes great but the texture is alittle crumbley. Not like store bread that is firm and slices clean. Any help is appreciated.:chef:

Last edited:
Hi new to DC. Have just purchased a Breadman machine TR520 love it. I have followed the recipe for rye bread as best I can. The bread tastes great but the texture is alittle crumbley. Not like store bread that is firm and slices clean. Any help is appreciated.:chef:
You didn’t give us the recipe! Does it use a flour blend, and if so, how much of each flour. Did you use regular rye or dark rye (pumpernickel)? Usually breads that are made exclusively with whole grain flour are dense, dry, and crumbly. The best loaves have a mix of rye, or whole wheat, and AP or bread flour, and the “white” flour is the larger portion.

When I bought my first bread machine, I was tied to the recipes in the instruction manual. THROW THOSE RECIPES OUT! I didn’t make one that was a loaf I’d serve to friends. If you’re serious about great bread, invest in some really serious bread cookbooks.

Bread machines opened up the world of baking to me. I rarely use mine now, except to mix and sometimes knead the dough. I might use the “dough” cycle occasionally to make “the daily loaf.” Have t actually baked a loaf in it in months!

I can't help you with bread machine rye bread, but I can tell you that you can make really good rye in a Dutch oven. I substitute 25% bread flour with rye flour and add 2 - 3 Tbsp. caraway seeds, otherwise it's standard no knead bread. It's on par with the artisan rye from a bakery.

Chuck an overripe banana into the mix, and or a little honey.

They'll add moisture and a bit of sweetness that is often missing in whole wheat and rye breads.

Oh great, bucky, a banana-rye bread. :sick: I bet JustJoel's link to the Banana Bread Recipe Generator hasn't suggested that option. :LOL: Should I substitute caraway seeds for the walnuts? :mrgreen:

Sorry to hear that you're having problems with the texture of your rye bread, Tonym. What do you mean by following the recipe "as best I can"? I've used many of the recipes in my Regal bread machine book; they all turn out fine. I don't know if the Breadman gives you a liquid measurement that reads something like "6 to 8 ounces", but all of my recipes show a range of about 2 ounces liquid for each recipe. Depending on how little or much moisture your flour has, you may need to play with the liquid volume. I start with the minimum, let it blend the ingredients during the first 5 or so minutes at the beginning, then decide whether or not the dough will need more moisture. Too little will result in a crumbly loaf; too much and it seems to bake up undercooked.

I haven't used it for anything but the "Dough" cycle in ages. We never liked the shape, density, or hole in the bottom of the bread when it went through the entire process and spat out a "loaf". Instead, I use the bread machine for the hard work part, then plop that blob of dough out of the mixing bowl onto a floured pastry board, knead it for about a minute, shape, and put into a bread pan. After it has gone through that last rise, I bake it off in the oven. Perfect bread each time, no matter what kind of bread I'm baking.

Oh great, bucky, a banana-rye bread. :sick: I bet JustJoel's link to the Banana Bread Recipe Generator hasn't suggested that option. :LOL: Should I substitute caraway seeds for the walnuts? :mrgreen:

Sorry to hear that you're having problems with the texture of your rye bread, Tonym. What do you mean by following the recipe "as best I can"? I've used many of the recipes in my Regal bread machine book; they all turn out fine. I don't know if the Breadman gives you a liquid measurement that reads something like "6 to 8 ounces", but all of my recipes show a range of about 2 ounces liquid for each recipe. Depending on how little or much moisture your flour has, you may need to play with the liquid volume. I start with the minimum, let it blend the ingredients during the first 5 or so minutes at the beginning, then decide whether or not the dough will need more moisture. Too little will result in a crumbly loaf; too much and it seems to bake up undercooked.

I haven't used it for anything but the "Dough" cycle in ages. We never liked the shape, density, or hole in the bottom of the bread when it went through the entire process and spat out a "loaf". Instead, I use the bread machine for the hard work part, then plop that blob of dough out of the mixing bowl onto a floured pastry board, knead it for about a minute, shape, and put into a bread pan. After it has gone through that last rise, I bake it off in the oven. Perfect bread each time, no matter what kind of bread I'm baking.
I posted the link to that “recipe generator”in another forum!

I did add alittle more water the second time and it got better I'll add more at the bigining and see what happens. Truthfully it's fun experamenting so long as not to much waist.:chef:;):ermm::glare::D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom