"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Breadman bread machine

I have just discovered the fun and enjoyment of making my own bread with my new Breadman machine. However, I have encountered a problem that I don't understand. Periodically when making the dough the removable paddle comes loose and gets buried in the dough before baking. Can anyone tell me how to correct this? Thanks from a great full beginner!!

Old 10-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Are you saying the paddle comes loose while it's kneading the bread? If so, take the machine back because that's a problem. However, the paddle is designed to come off of the shaft so you can easily get the loaf out of the machine after baking. The manuals that came with breadmakers I've owned say to remove the paddle when the last rise starts. My newest one actually has a beep at the end of the final knead so I know when I can remove the paddle. If you leave the paddle in place, then the loaf will bake and stick to the paddle and you will have to remove the paddle from the loaf after you remove the loaf from the machine.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've never heard of that happening, but I can also confess that I've never used my bread machines to make bread through the whole cycle, just the kneading and first rise cycles.

However, I think Hammster has offered good advice.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I have never had that happen to my Breadman either, but I can see how it could. I've seen the kneading dough get underneath the paddle and lift it slightly. Mine is a pretty tight fit and the paddle has never come completely off. And it always remains attached when shaking the loaf out.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I wish I could help, but I have a Cuisinart bread making machine, and more times than not I can't even get the paddle off the shaft at all. I've eaten many loaves of bread with a paddle shaped indentation in the bottom and I have been forced to put the pan into the dishwasher with the paddle attached more than once.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I wish I could help, but I have a Cuisinart bread making machine, and more times than not I can't even get the paddle off the shaft at all. I've eaten many loaves of bread with a paddle shaped indentation in the bottom and I have been forced to put the pan into the dishwasher with the paddle attached more than once.
The dishwasher
My Breadman even has a time limit that I can soak the pan in warm water to get the paddle unstuck, which I never really understood, since you can put water and ingredients in the machine and set a timer to start hours ahead...
Old 10-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thanks to all for your advice. I'm not sure if I can take it back (no receipt) it doesn't happen every time so maybe if I spray it with Pam first, it might help.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
Head Chef

Depending on where you bought it, many times receipts are not necessary as the info is in a database. May be true even if it was a gift.

If the paddle is coming off during the kneading, I would think there is a defect.

Tags
bread