"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-06-2004, 12:27 AM   #11

To the mighty ELF. Breville replied to my email, I can get the book for AUD$18 with postage.

Old 12-06-2004, 08:05 AM   #12

Great Wayne! I am happy for you!

Old 12-06-2004, 10:40 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Yea, I'm exhausted now after doing all that work!! 8)

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:02 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneT
There are a couple of settings on the lid also, I think they will have to be a trial and error thing. IF YOU GUYS DON"T HERE FROM ME AGAIN, then maybe i got the settings wrong.

I am hoping you are still with us!!!

First off, I will tell you that I LOVE :P my pressure cooker. But it's a stovetop model. It comes in really handy for loads of things: beans, stews, pot roast, etc.

My suggestion is to buy a couple of pounds of dry beans and then put on your scientist's hat.

My guess is that if you can figure out the settings on your contraption that are equivalent to a regular stove top model, you can adjust yours accordingly. So, if it takes a stovetop model 20 minutes with no manual release of steam* to cook dry beans to doneness, experiment and see how long and on what setting you achieve the same result with yours.

It probably won't take you long to figure this out.

A pressure cooker is a good thing to have around. Good Luck!

* this is an example only, there are lots of sites on line that can give you actual instructions
Old 12-06-2004, 01:51 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

WayneT - I would recommend a basic pressure cooker book - I'm not sure what you available there - but one that has soups, stocks, and bean recipes. Beans are a different creature in a pressure cooker - because they foam when cooking you have to add oil (vegetable/canola, etc.) to keep the foam down which in turn keeps it out of the pressure valve!

I'll look up the ratio of beans/water/oil a little later - I've got some good soup recipes, adobo chicken, and a few others I'll pass along too.

Old 12-06-2004, 03:04 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
WayneT - I would recommend a basic pressure cooker book - I'm not sure what you available there - but one that has soups, stocks, and bean recipes. Beans are a different creature in a pressure cooker - because they foam when cooking you have to add oil (vegetable/canola, etc.) to keep the foam down which in turn keeps it out of the pressure valve!

I have never added oil What happens if you don't ?.... . Would it make the thing blow up?? Ai Yi YI!!

I suggested beans because they are cheap and easy to experiment with. A book would be good, but to begin the experiment you need only a recipe with times and directions for stovetop, in order to try and replicate on electic model.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:18 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

lol - You probably never fill the pot up enough for it to matter. For beans you never want to fill up over the halfway mark. Beans have a tendency to create a foam - and when under pressure the foam rises and can cause a bean or some bean skin to the top and become lodged in the vent and clog it, which is not good lol. Use the quck-release method to prevent foaming and sputtering from the vent.

So......to be on the safe side I ALWAYS do this - for every cup of beans I add 4 cups of water and 1 TBS of oil. For each additional cup of beans I add 3 cups of water and an additional TBS of oil.

MORE BEAN INFO: Also, never add salt or acidic incredients to your beans such as tomatoes or molasses before they are almost entirely cooked. It causes the bean skins to harden and and they won't become tender no matter how long yo ucook them.

The exception to this is when you are doing soups and you add a slightly salted stock and some canned tomatoes - you may have to lengthen the cooking time a bit.

Old 12-07-2004, 05:28 PM   #18
Master Chef

Yikes, elfie, I never knew that! I will now always add oil.

But I will also add salt. I'm with Shirley Corriher who says always salt your bean water. But never add an acid. I'm with you there.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:53 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

jenny,

I have had my beans turn tough and had to throw them away - so if it's always worked for you I'm envious!!!! lol

I will put a smoked ham hock in but I still don't add salt - I'm skeered now!

Old 12-07-2004, 08:17 PM   #20

Thanx everyone for the help offered. I have taken on board all the comments, shuffled them up and I am slowly working it out.

This cooker has a vent on top with 4 settings.
I worked that 1=5lb pressure, 2=10lb pressure and 3=15 lb pressure. The other labled Steam, is for steaming foods not under pressure.

The two dials on the front are a Timer and a heat control, equivalent to the Hotplate dial on the stovetop.

I have cooked three recipes so far and am loving it.

Thanx again, everyone.