Breville Hot Wok (review)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Maloney

Senior Cook
I purchased a new toy last week. The Breville Hot Wok. 1800 watts so it gets PLENTY hot. Beautiful stainless exterior. Has a 'sear' setting. It browned my meat and my tofu which was perfect. Now I know it's not like the 'real thing' in that unlike a traditional wok, the entire surface heats evenly. Doesn't have those cooler sides to push the food up out of the way, but I just remove the food to a bowl and continue with the recipe, then stir it back in near the end of cooking. I really like it. It has a glass lid with a controllable steam vent. The bowl removes from the base. Some of the reviews claimed to have trouble doing this but I have not experienced any problems. In fact, I found I don't have to remove the bowl from the base to clean it. Just wipe it out and rinse. This has one of the finest non-stick surfaces I have ever found on any appliance (like their mini-pie maker and grills). It heats in about 10 minutes or less and the quick-release temperature probe is numbered. The users manual comes with some guidelines for cooking with the various number settings but I find by using the wok it is pretty simple to figure out. I use bamboo utensils to ensure not scratching the surface. Anyone else have one of these? How do you like yours?

Attachments

• Breville Wok 1.jpg
    Breville Wok 1.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,160
  • Breville Wok 2.jpg
    Breville Wok 2.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 1,140
  • Breville Wok 3.jpg
    Breville Wok 3.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 1,141
Why do you do this to me? It's a justified buy in my house. Was just kicking myself the other day, wishing that I had my old wok back. Loved that thing. Gave it away it's probably never been used by her. That one looks really nice. Good for you! SCORE!!!! +4

I didn't know Breville had a wok. What did you pay for yours?
Going to have to check that out asap!

Need to get over this chest cold first it's a doozy!. Gotta have my faculties with me at the bargaining table. Dear Santa...

Munky

cm, your new breville hot wok is a beauty! i would like one of those myself! for me, finding storage space for it might be a problem, unless it could sit out on top of the stove. what is your wok's diameter size? if i had a wok like yours, cm, i would happily eat stir-fried meals a lot more frequently.... :)

Why do you do this to me? It's a justified buy in my house. Was just kicking myself the other day, wishing that I had my old wok back. Loved that thing. Gave it away it's probably never been used by her. That one looks really nice. Good for you! SCORE!!!! +4

I didn't know Breville had a wok. What did you pay for yours?
Going to have to check that out asap!

Need to get over this chest cold first it's a doozy!. Gotta have my faculties with me at the bargaining table. Dear Santa...

Munky

Chef Munky, sorry about that. You know you want this! haha It is called the Breville Hot Wok. There are two models of this wok. $99 & $129. The only difference between the two is the stainless steel exterior. I think it's worth the extra $$ for the stainless, but the functions are exactly the same. It is pretty KOoL :cool:
Let me know when you get it so we can exchange a few recipes.

Last edited:
cm, your new breville hot wok is a beauty! i would like one of those myself! for me, finding storage space for it might be a problem, unless it could sit out on top of the stove. what is your wok's diameter size? if i had a wok like yours, cm, i would happily eat stir-fried meals a lot more frequently.... :)

Hi Vituata, the wok is 14" in diameter. Kind of large for the stovetop unless you place it on a large cutting board of some kind. One of the things I like about it is the versatility of being able to move it around, use it on the countertop, table, or outside. I am eating more stir-frys and have even lost some weight :)

I purchased this wok at William Sonoma. If possible, I recommend inspecting the wok thoroughly before purchase. One of them had a nice scratch (I suppose someone opened the box and placed the heating probe directly on the non-stick surface. I place a hand towel inside mine, then place the heating probe on top of that to store. The lid can be placed upside down on the wok to save storage space)
The second one I looked at didn't look like the non-stick surface was applied completely from end-to-end inside the wok. Hard to describe. It was probably fine, but I'm just picky I guess. I would recommend an inexpensive set of Bamboo utensils ($5 at Bed&Bath). However, none of these things should happen to you. Of course WS took good care of me and Breville is highly recommended for the best customer service so no worries. :yum:

Really like the looks of this one. I may have to stop in WS and check them out. Just going to look.....not to buy....not going to look at anything else while I'm there.....I could store it on top of the potato bin.....no no just looking.

Really like the looks of this one. I may have to stop in WS and check them out. Just going to look.....not to buy....not going to look at anything else while I'm there.....I could store it on top of the potato bin.....no no just looking.

uh huh. and gonna leave the old wallet at home huh? hehe :LOL:
I was just looking too. :ermm:
Nice product.
Don't forget to stop by Bed & Bath and just look at the bamboo utensil set hehe

Last edited:
My Typo

Ooops.... sorry guys, just realized that I posted up above 1800 watts :ermm:
The Hot Wok is 1500 watts.
My typo, please forgive.
Still sufficient to sear.
Works great.

Ok,

I'm taking notes. Santa is at a weak point. Poor guy.

Getting ready to hit the bargain table. Must have the Hi-Ho - Silver one!

Wish me luck Tonto. :LOL:

Munky.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom