"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2005, 05:19 PM   #1
Michael_Schaap's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Northville, MI
Posts: 81
Question Burner for wok cooking

Ok... I have an electric kitchen stove. Works fine, but the wok I have is a round bottom carbon steel wok. I can get it to work on the stove fine, but I am looking for a high output burner for it that I could use in my kitchen. I look at them in stores and they all seem to say the same thing.. do not use indoors.... Is there one that I can use in my kitchen safely?


I love to cook with wine... sometimes it even gets in the food

Michael Schaap
Michael_Schaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 05:41 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer
GB's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
You won't find any electric ones that get hot enough and the propane ones that do get hot enough can't be used inside because the put out carbon monoxide. Your best bet (if you want to use that wok the right way) is to wait until summer and get a burner that you can use outside. The burner from a turkey fryer works well for this.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 12:00 PM   #3
Master Chef
Michael in FtW's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 6,592
Unless you have a glass/ceramic/magnetic induction "flat" stove top - maybe - depends on brand. It's called a WOK element. While cooking elements for American and European cooking are designed to create even heat distribution over a large area - a Wok needs the heat to be concentrated in a smaller area. For an electric stove the cooking WOK element is a concave contoured element - for gas stovetops the jets are pointed "inward" instead of outward.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:54 AM   #4
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 78
Michael S, I just tossed the electric wok I have had collecting dust; you use a wok over an electric burner? Your question is my question re: a portable flame. We converted to a gas furnace and water heater and clothes dryer 4 yrs ago and the guy who brought the gas line into the basement said it would be close to $800 to get it across the house where the kitchen is for a gas stove. Electric stove is still w/ us.
marajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:43 AM   #5
Executive Chef
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2,977
I replaced my AGA with a modern built in gas hob. It has a larger burner in the middle which is great for wok cooking! I believe that Neff now do a 2 wok burner hob nowadays. I got mine from one of our major department store chains - John Lewis. I love the instantaneous heat you get with gas. So much easier to use than my Aga!
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:57 PM   #6
Head Chef
Caine's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,314
Send a message via MSN to Caine
Go to http://www.familywok.com/wok.htm and start reading at paragraph 7.

Also, you can purchase high output replacement elements for most name brand electric stoves to get more heat for your wok.

Caine is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.