Burner for wok cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok... I have an electric kitchen stove. Works fine, but the wok I have is a round bottom carbon steel wok. I can get it to work on the stove fine, but I am looking for a high output burner for it that I could use in my kitchen. I look at them in stores and they all seem to say the same thing.. do not use indoors.... Is there one that I can use in my kitchen safely?

You won't find any electric ones that get hot enough and the propane ones that do get hot enough can't be used inside because the put out carbon monoxide. Your best bet (if you want to use that wok the right way) is to wait until summer and get a burner that you can use outside. The burner from a turkey fryer works well for this.

Unless you have a glass/ceramic/magnetic induction "flat" stove top - maybe - depends on brand. It's called a WOK element. While cooking elements for American and European cooking are designed to create even heat distribution over a large area - a Wok needs the heat to be concentrated in a smaller area. For an electric stove the cooking WOK element is a concave contoured element - for gas stovetops the jets are pointed "inward" instead of outward.

Michael S, I just tossed the electric wok I have had collecting dust; you use a wok over an electric burner? Your question is my question re: a portable flame. We converted to a gas furnace and water heater and clothes dryer 4 yrs ago and the guy who brought the gas line into the basement said it would be close to $800 to get it across the house where the kitchen is for a gas stove. Electric stove is still w/ us.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom