Butterfly Potato chips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gamecube10074

Assistant Cook
Whenever you go to the fairs therea re the people who have the butterfly potatoe chips...

All they do is push a potatoe through a specialized potatoe cutter making them very thin, then you put it yourself into a deep fryer...

Does anyone know where I can buy this potatoe cutter and does anyone know the right instructions on how long to deepfry them for....

(yes they are this good i want to buy it x.x, just like how i bought a specialized kettlecorn popcorn machine)

Anyone have any ideas?

And how much would it cost?i am thinking maybe a few hundred dollars... probably less, (BTW THE CUTTER WAS ELECTRONIC,but you had to push the potatoe through it)... Probably less than a few 100 because it isn't the kind that automatically fries it for you

I don't know, but I too LOVE those things.. A little cheddar and sour cream and you have yourself one heck of a meal!

-Brad

Okay that looks great candelbc... I might just buy that one...

And does anyone know if i need to blanch them or not, or just fly them a bit?

Anyone know the recipie?

I think they only Fry them. Since the line is always so dang long, I have had time to sit and watch (And wait patiently).

I found another option though. The one I might purchase is this one!
GourmetSleuth - Potato Threader

More affordable, and it looks like it might actually make something I have been looking for, which is Onion Strings or Onion Threads.. I am talking about those nests of onions that are the thickness of like Kite String and then deep fried.. I love those things!

-Brad

Yes i see the 2nd one... But it doesn't look like it would make the nice thin slices that the other one did...

Oh hey barb i am in MI also :P.

(Ann arbor)

If someone gets that and tell me if it works to make the butterfly potatoe chips... tell me, if not i am getting the other one... Does that one havea return policy?

Last edited:
Candlebc - I've always wanted one of these but I've only seen the darker green one - thanks for the link to the lighter green one - it would have to be more expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We used them at the restaurant I cooked in for shredding potatoes (among other things) and surrounding properly seasoned grouper then cooking on the griddle - topped with a cucumber/soy buerre blanc - :chef:

I think the second link has various blades that allow you make several different cuts.

Do you suppose that the second one will do the potato ribbons and onion strings?

-Brad

candelbc said:
I think the second link has various blades that allow you make several different cuts.

Do you suppose that the second one will do the potato ribbons and onion strings?

-Brad

In the ad it does say spirl and ribbons, even a fine blade ( for you onion strings), read all it does, really cool.

candelbc said:

-Brad

It appears the link you posted leading to GourmetSleuth would make potato ribbons with the flat blade (I think it's $98?) I would NEVER consider the motorized one unless, of course, I was in "the business". The one we used, at the restaurant, was the other one at GourmetSleuth - it did a great job and made salads look great with a topping of carrots that were shredded this way.

but also in the picture of the cheaper one it is very very finely shredded, i am not sure it would make ribbons :|

Anyone try it then come ba ck?

In the $98 one it has a flat blade for slicing, which would rotate the potato and make your continuous ribbon. Then there are different sizes of shredding blades - the shredding blades also do a continuous shred.

kitchenelf said:
In the $98 one it has a flat blade for slicing, which would rotate the potato and make your continuous ribbon. Then there are different sizes of shredding blades - the shredding blades also do a continuous shred.
so basically i should buy it if I loved those butterfly potatoe chips?

Il order it now if so !

Back
Top Bottom