"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-08-2016, 04:21 PM   #11
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Permian Basin
Posts: 499
I too got my mattress online. Also my bread machine and toaster oven. Just go with a reputable brand.
__________________

__________________
cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:43 AM   #12
Head Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Inside the fridge
Posts: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinisajoy View Post
I too got my mattress online. Also my bread machine and toaster oven. Just go with a reputable brand.
A mattress...wow. Did it arrive in a huge cardboard box? Anyone ordered a mop or broom online? Does it get shipped in a large cardboard box (just because of the handle)?
__________________

__________________
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:34 AM   #13
Head Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,115
We got our mattresses on-line too. Did a bunch of research at different sites and looked at all the reviews. They are the memory/gelfoam mattress type. They come in a box the width of your mattress all rolled up, wrapped in very heavy vinyl and POOF when you cut open the vinyl. We got a split adjustable bed frame so got 2 extra-long twins to make a king-size bed. I think the boxes were 18" ish square with length being the width of the twin. Mattresses are 13-14" deep after they poof.
__________________
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:15 AM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
A mattress...wow. Did it arrive in a huge cardboard box? Anyone ordered a mop or broom online? Does it get shipped in a large cardboard box (just because of the handle)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
We got our mattresses on-line too. Did a bunch of research at different sites and looked at all the reviews. They are the memory/gelfoam mattress type. They come in a box the width of your mattress all rolled up, wrapped in very heavy vinyl and POOF when you cut open the vinyl. We got a split adjustable bed frame so got 2 extra-long twins to make a king-size bed. I think the boxes were 18" ish square with length being the width of the twin. Mattresses are 13-14" deep after they poof.
We just got our mattress delivered yesterday and it is the one rolled up and vacuumed packed. Like said above. ^^^^^^^^
When I saw the box it came in I was thinking it was a piece of junk. I helped my wife unroll it onto the box spring and as soon as I cut the plastic, it started to grow. Its quite firm and now as thick as the pillow top we originally had on there. Free shipping too! Amazon.

I was a skeptic of online sales until a few years ago when shopping for a sofa.
I found exactly what I wanted at Ashley Furniture. I wrote down the model number and manufacturer. Went home and looked it up. Found the exact same sofa for $400 less than the store with free shipping yet once again. Only downside was the 3 week lead for delivery. It was worth it for the free delivery.
I do understand a brick and mortar store has taxes and costs associated with operating from a physical store, but I'm just to damn cheap/frugal.
I feel for them as the internet takes over.
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:51 PM   #15
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 267
Interesting to see people buying appliances online. I wouldn't trust the handling/shipping. I know how rough bulky things are handled. The item may arrive working but something may have loosened up which means in the future the item will have problems.

We buy all of our appliances from a local family owned appliance store that's been around since the 1950's. Excellent service and prices are about the same as online. They will even match online prices in a lot of cases if you ask.
__________________
jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:23 PM   #16
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,049
I wouldn't hesitate to buy small appliances online. That's how I bought my KA mixer and food processor. I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable buying a large appliance online. I also can't imagine buying a mattress online. I need to test the fit for that just as much as I do a pair of shoes - maybe more so, because it's easy to send shoes back, a mattress not so much.

I actually do have some shoes bought online, but only after already owning exactly the same thing (Merrill Moab hiking shoes) and knowing what size was right.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:59 PM   #17
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to buy small appliances online. That's how I bought my KA mixer and food processor. I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable buying a large appliance online. I also can't imagine buying a mattress online. I need to test the fit for that just as much as I do a pair of shoes - maybe more so, because it's easy to send shoes back, a mattress not so much.

I actually do have some shoes bought online, but only after already owning exactly the same thing (Merrill Moab hiking shoes) and knowing what size was right.
Yeah shoe sizes are all over the map. In some brands, I wear a 9, others a 9.5, some a 10. There are a couple of shoe stores in the mall that I like. I will go there to buy shoes, maybe browse the tool section at Sears, get a pretzel and a Starbuck's. :)
__________________
jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:37 AM   #18
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
Interesting to see people buying appliances online. I wouldn't trust the handling/shipping. I know how rough bulky things are handled. The item may arrive working but something may have loosened up which means in the future the item will have problems.

We buy all of our appliances from a local family owned appliance store that's been around since the 1950's. Excellent service and prices are about the same as online. They will even match online prices in a lot of cases if you ask.

If your local store will meet or beat the internet price, then it would be silly to buy on the internet.
I have yet to see a brick and mortar store be able to compete with internet stores. I'm certain some may be able to, but I have not personally seen it.
I wish our local guy could compete, but he can't.
For me to buy locally, it would have to be out of civil loyalty. Not price.
I would prefer to buy locally. But they never deliver for free. Ever.
Some places get their mark up on delivery charges.
I paid $9 delivery fee once online for a $3 part.
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:14 PM   #19
Head Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 1,799
I ordered matching Samsung Washer & Dryer from Homedepot.com - free delivery, set up and haul-away. We did have to pay the local and state sales tax, but all-in-all a good price.
Have had no trouble with either from the start, knock wood!

Now on the end of that spectrum:
My girlfriend ordered 4 piece suite of matching GE kitchen appliances in Slate.
Nothing but trouble!
When we pulled the serial numbers from each and looked the customer reviews up on line, very poor, not the same as say a comp at a brick and mortar... but then I've been finding out that SOME brands make similar products but inexpensively (cheapo and it shows).
BUT, she's okay with what she got, she doesn't USE her kitchen much,
"... but doesn't it look pretty?"


"Buyer Beware"
__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:57 PM   #20
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
I ordered matching Samsung Washer & Dryer from Homedepot.com - free delivery, set up and haul-away. We did have to pay the local and state sales tax, but all-in-all a good price.
Have had no trouble with either from the start, knock wood!
I don't consider this completely "online" like something from Amazon, as it is usually delivered and the setup is handled by your local Home Depot store. When we built our house in the Bahamas, we bought all of our appliances through Home Depot, because we could order them here in Colorado, have them shipped to the Home Depot store in Ft. Lauderdale, and they then delivered them to the shipping company that then put them on a freighter to our island.
__________________

__________________
Rick
RPCookin is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
appliances

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.