Buying Gas Stove!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saphellae

Head Chef
I am getting a gas stove for Christmas, it is being bought at Sears.ca

Can someone help me pick something that is up to 1200$? I am not sure on brands and whether we should go stainless steel or not. I also want to buy a hood for max 300 ish. I am going to buy one tomorrow!!!

My advice... DO NOT GET A BLACK GLASS TOPPED ONE!!! They are impossible to clean!!

glass topped gas stove? thats wierd... No, I won't do that lol... I want something with grates like a grill but that are easy to clean.

Also are looking for a 30" one.

If you use the broiler at all, I HIGHLY recommend getting a stove that has a top broiler and not one down at floor level. Also, While I like my large, extra BTU burner for bringing a pot up to boil, I absolutely hate the extra small simmering burning that seems to come in pairs with the large burner. I would just as soon have all four the same size. And like Katie pointed out, make sure the stove surface can handle large pots. Last night when making sauce in my 5.5 qt saute pan I had it over two front/rear burners rather than the one front burner to keep the red bubbles off of the kitchen floor. The back of the stove prevented me from setting it on a rear burner.
It was a present and I can't complain..... well, OK, yes I can (lol)

Mine is a present too and we are going to choose one tomorrow. I do want one that has at least a warming rack in the centre. That would make it easy to put a big pot. I heard that on some ranges you can use that rack in the centre to grill.

I will be using the oven yeah, and I agree about the top broiler. Even if I have my small btu burner for creme brulees and stuff, its nice to have a crispy top on a casserole.

Mine is a present too and we are going to choose one tomorrow. I do want one that has at least a warming rack in the centre. That would make it easy to put a big pot. I heard that on some ranges you can use that rack in the centre to grill.

A warming rack in the center? I think you may have misunderstood. justplainbill was talking about a separate compartment from the main oven - it's sometimes called a warming drawer. I have one and I don't use it all that much, but then it's just DH and me most of the time. A friend of mine has a main oven and a smaller oven compartment that's just tall enough for a sheet pan of cookies, bread slices, biscuits and rolls, that type of thing. It can be set to a different temperature than the main oven, so she can make rolls in one and a casserole or braised dish in the other. I think I'd get more use out of that.

I will be using the oven yeah, and I agree about the top broiler. Even if I have my small btu burner for creme brulees and stuff, its nice to have a crispy top on a casserole.

I use the broiler inside the oven for that. I'm not sure how useful a separate broiler would be, at least for me.

Yep, when I say a warming rack I'm not talking about in the oven, I'm talking about on the cooktop. It's a longer piece that runs from the back of the cooktop to the front, along the middle. I do know about warming compartments, thats not something that I need. :)

Yeah, I use the broiler in the oven for casseroles on the top. I wouldn't want one on the bottom as well. I was saying I use my small btu hand held burner for creme brulee.

GG, they make ovens with broilers inside them? I've never seen one of those, but my oven was probably around $400, and I'm only familiar with what I've seen on TV.
I need to check into ovens myself. I miss not using the broiler, but I refuse to get on my knees to check on food cooking/distance from flame. My old house had a double oven and the broiler was in the middle (heating the top oven). I like that oven RR uses with the separate broiler.

I do not know about a black glass top gas range, but, I do have a black percelain gas range. Cleaning it is an absolute pain in the neck. It has the cast iron grates on top. they go in the dishwasher, no problem. The black percelain shows every spot streaks badly.

So fat as my power boil burner and my simmer burner. I bring things to a boil in the front and transfer things that are to simmer or keep warm to the simmer burner. With gas instead of electric it is hot right a wa and it works well for me.

AC

We don't have a dishwasher yet, but I like the idea of the cast iron grates... unless... well I have stainless steel henkle pots and pans and am wondering if it will damage the pots at all.

We have a gas cooktop with cast iron grates. However, the grates have a heavy porcelain coating. We've had the stove for over 10 years and couldn't be more pleased with it. No problems cleaning the grates and no damage to any of our cookware.

Saph, The cast iron grates are not hard to clean. I just looked again and I think the GE that you are looking at is the one that we have. The black top is my issue. I clean it and it always streaks. then I go crazy getting the streaks out. I finally gave up and keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol to cut the last of the grease off.

AC

One has five burners including two high output.

The other has 4 burners with one high output.

The five burner model gives you more flexibility. I'd check out Consumer Reports or some of the online product rating sites to see if quality is an issue for either one.

Does it have the convection oven option? Mine doesn't have one but I hear things brown so evenly and they take quite a bit less time to cook. I want my next stove to have the option.

GG, they make ovens with broilers inside them? I've never seen one of those, but my oven was probably around $400, and I'm only familiar with what I've seen on TV.
I need to check into ovens myself. I miss not using the broiler, but I refuse to get on my knees to check on food cooking/distance from flame. My old house had a double oven and the broiler was in the middle (heating the top oven). I like that oven RR uses with the separate broiler.

This is the one I have: Jenn-Air: Ranges JGS8850BDS

We got it as part of our kitchen renovation last year, although we did not pay nearly that much for it.

Back
Top Bottom