Caloric Stove

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Or...maybe....we could find parts for the Caloric and refurbish it. On the plus side, the electrical parts work perfectly. The rest....just shelves and screws...a few tubes...

The stove is really awesome. And it does fit that spot perfectly. Has anyone ever tried to refurbish a stove? Seriously, after hearing about the guy who showed up here, I think we could do better....
I really want to keep my stove....

People repair and refurbish appliances all the time. You just have to hunt and find the right person. So it depends on how long you can go without it. It may be that you need to find a club or other collector who can point you in the right direction on how to do it yourself or how to find someone in the area that can help.

caloric stove parts - Google Search

caloric stove repair manual - Google Search

COLLECTIBLE detective - The Largest Vintage and Antique Guide on the Web

caloric stove maryland - Google Search

AGA used to make some nice stuff. Good luck on you parts & repair search. Perhaps your local gas supplier can diagnose what's causing the high CO problem with your Caloric.

Last edited:
I got a tip from one of the IT recruiters about a local place that buys and sells stuff from old house demolitions. He said they have a warehouse full of stoves and other such. Waiting to get the name of the place, but it might be something we check out.

Too big, PF...and too new, SLofB.

I *really* like the current stove....when it is working. :ermm:

So get it fixed! Carbon monoxide is created by burning fuel without the appropriate amount of oxygen. I can't see any reason that the stove can not be repaired or refitted. Call Rick's Restorations if you have to!

Rick's Restorations

If you want to try to fix it your own self, try Repair Clinic for parts and online assistance.

Last edited:
So here is where things stand.

The issue the repair guy said was "100% postive is the problem" is the floor of the oven and flame defuser had fallen and was resting on the burner. Now he can't actually fix that because there is no boxed part to pull out and install. "Can you manufacture a bracket?" I say. "No, parts are not available" he says. $85 spent to understand the problem.

So off to Lowes. I bought so angle steel (weldable, not zinced) and some stainless fasteners. I would have preferred plain mild steel but well, no #8 pan head machine screws or sheet metal screws. Oh well.

I used the machine screws to put the two pieces of the oen bottom back together, being right respectful of the asbestos in the middle. :mrgreen:

I cut off the angle steel to a foot. Drilled three holes and used sheet metal screws to mount it on the back wall of the oven. Put it in place and there ya go. I need my bolt cutters as the back screws extend just a tad far and it isn't level, yet. Those are at the boat so I will have to wait to level it.

Now the real question is turning it back on and testing. If this is the right solution we are good. But if we get another CO alarm the FD shows up and gets cranky with us. I looked for a hand held CO detector at Lowes but no go. The FD had a right nice one with them, but I don't need it that nice, I just need it workable and for an hour.

So for now it looks like we don't have to try to plan and execute a crash kitchen remodel. When you are under pressure the thing that goes up the fastest is the price. So I am happy with this, for now.

Can parakeets detect carbon monoxide?
Oh wait, that probably wouldn't work in an oven that's turned on :ermm:

:ROFLMAO:

Good fix (hopefully).

moz-screenshot-44.png
Shipping estimate for these items: June 22, 2010
1 "Kidde KN-COPP-3 Nighthawk Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Battery Backup and Digital Display"
Tools & Hardware; $40.79
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
You should have one in your bedroom.
Sorry to hear stove bolts are not commonly available.
Cover the central station detector with plastic while testing your repair?

"sniffers" - made for all sorts of stuff.

$300+
Mini CO Sniffer in the USA
Eurotron 7898 Mini CO Sniffer | Instrumentation Sales & Rentals
TPI Ambient CO And Combustible Gas Leak Detector Search Results TPI Ambient CO and Combustible Gas Leak Detector - Davis Instruments Catalog

nice fix! when all else fails - do it yourself (g)

most home inspectors have one - perhaps a real estate type could put you onto a 'friendly' one that would drop by.

or . . . a plate of brownies proffered to the fire house might get you somewhere....

People repair and refurbish appliances all the time. You just have to hunt and find the right person. So it depends on how long you can go without it. It may be that you need to find a club or other collector who can point you in the right direction on how to do it yourself or how to find someone in the area that can help.

caloric stove parts - Google Search

caloric stove repair manual - Google Search

COLLECTIBLE detective - The Largest Vintage and Antique Guide on the Web

caloric stove maryland - Google Search

Yes, we did those Google searches too. In a nutshell, those that say they can fix a Caloric turn into Prissy from Gone with the Wind when they charge $80+ and arrive to say, "I don't know nothing about birthing no baby (fixing no Caloric stove,) I don't know why I told such a lie." We have had approximately five people out over the years and have spent many hours on the phone. Closest I have found in NoVA, MD, DC areas is a nice man in Atlanta who will make a part for me if I send him the original. Oh, and there is a nice lady in NYC who can talk if I send pictures and arrange to get the stove to her. :ermm:

AGA used to make some nice stuff. Good luck on you parts & repair search. Perhaps your local gas supplier can diagnose what's causing the high CO problem with your Caloric.

About 14 years ago, I was able to shame a guy to replace all of the hoses and connectors. :LOL:

So get it fixed! Carbon monoxide is created by burning fuel without the appropriate amount of oxygen. I can't see any reason that the stove can not be repaired or refitted. Call Rick's Restorations if you have to!

If you want to try to fix it your own self, try Repair Clinic for parts and online assistance.

So far, we have been fortunate to be able to make repairs that have had to happen. Including this one. I'd love to find someone in the area to refit/restore the stove, but the closest places I can really find are a state or two away. Not ideal. I think we could do it if we can find parts. After this time, we will work harder to see if we can find those parts.

Can parakeets detect carbon monoxide?
Oh wait, that probably wouldn't work in an oven that's turned on :ermm:

Good fix (hopefully).

*hides the canary* I made a peach pie and canned today without an alarm going off. *knocks on wood and feeds bread crumbs to the canary*

I really did not like the stoves that are new. So...motivated. :LOL: Frank seems to have fixed it for now. :)

Last edited:
Time to start looking for a replacement for parts...it always costs more when you need it now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom