"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Caloric Stove

So last night we had a visit from the city fire department. Joy.

Kathleen made stuffed peppers (they were fantastic) and about an hour later the CO detector goes off. The alarm people call the FD and they dispatch a truck (lights blazing, sirens howling). Our stove is now turned off with an orange tag on it that says we can't use it. At least there was a cut off on the stove itself, if not they would have shut off the gas to the house.

Its times like these that makes me wonder why no one can make something that lasts. The stove is only 60 years old. Now we might have to replace it? Crikey.

Of course no one makes a stove that will fit properly, well, no one that has anything reasonable price wise. The stove is 42 inches wide and the kitchen was obviously laid out around it. This is going to be fun.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I wonder if it would be cheaper and effective to have the burners and/or the lines and regulator replaced? Perhaps someone from the gas company can give you advice on this. Of course, they will likely have more interest in selling you a new stove.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Our neighbor had a CO issue a couple of weeks ago. It was her gas water heater. After examination by a host of experts, the conclusion was there was no problem with the equipment, no blockages in the vents, it was just heavy humid air that prevented the CO from escaping up the flue.

It might be worth having the vents checked for blockages before dumping that practically new stove.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
Master Chef

Site Administrator

You know how things are these days, just use it a couple times then throw it away.

We had some service done a few years ago, and it was tough finding anyone that wanted to work on such a.. classic... stove.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Well, you've got a 42" space. You can go down in size to 30" or 36" or up to 48" I see a 6-burner range with a griddle/grill pan in the middle and two ovens.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
Master Chef

Site Administrator

We have been through numerous iterations on what to do with the space. The stove has storage and we don't want to loose that space.

Kathleen is talking about remodeling half the kitchen at this point, which isn't bad but it isn't gonna be cheap.

A 30" stove means an awkward 17" gap, a 36" means an awkward 11" gap. The kitchen was designed to house this stove just so.

I have someone coming to look at it. Hopefully they are more interested in making it work right than throwing their hands in the air and complaining.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
Master Chef

Site Administrator

This is the stove Kathleen is thinking she might like to replace with:

KitchenAidŽ: Welcome to KitchenAid.com
Old 08-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hmmmm?! From a designer/decorator's point of view, if you do have to replace the stove and there's a gap, you could convert the narrow space into vertical storage for cookie sheets, pizza pans, cooling racks, etc. They could be stored on end since they're always a pain in the butt to store anyway.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

I really like that stove. It has a bit of everything and looks good too.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
Head Chef

Though I agree the price in a kitchen remodel is expensive.. even a cosmetic remodel can do magic and is cheaper - A great idea from Katie to convert the extra space into a cookie sheet / pan storage, I Have one and it beats having to keep those large items under the sink with the chemicals lol.

Tags
stove