Can a foil liner cause oven to work improperly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
I have been in an apartment for the last year that has an electric stove/oven. We are having a problem with the bottom element which seems to come on way too much and creates uneven heat which creates lots of issues. Especially with baking. The bottom of whatever we bake is always over done. The oven comes up to temp and the light goes off, so does the element. We used a thermometer and the oven seems to be working fine. we have even tried different adjustments on the oven racks. I'm wondering if the foil liner on the bottom is somehow interfering with the proper function of the oven. Could it be reflecting too much direct heat. I googled a bit and read that it can interfere, but really no explanation.
Anybody know anything about this?

Well, I should have done a bit more searching. After doing a bit more investigating, I have read on many oven manuals that you should never line the bottom with foil because it will trap the heat and make the oven heat unevenly. It can also burn the bottom element out. So, there you have it.

Thanks, Rock!!:LOL:

Oh I'm too late! When I was a young wife I did the same thing! I didn't find out until I burned out the element and was replacing it. Te man at the appliance parts store said that it was a very bad idea to line my oven with the foil because it causes uneven heat, and it causes the element to burn out quicker. I guess maybe he was right. Anyway, I haven't done that since. Glad you found your answer while researching. Back when I did it, researching was a lot harder than it is now.

:LOL: Been there, done that too! And as Chopper said, it was a lot harder to research way back when. I actually found out it was a no-no when I read the oven manual.

I've had a gas oven for the last 25 years before moving in here. I didn't realize there would be an issue.
But, my next question is, why do they make oven liners?

Last edited:
:LOL: Been there, done that too! And as Chopper said, it was a lot harder to research way back when. I actually found out it was a no-no when I read the oven manual.

Right. No oven manual for me. It was in the early eighties, but the oven was from the seventies (you know, avocado green!). There was no manual with the range when I bought the house. It was one of the little drop in ranges with the push buttons on the front. Oh, such memories! :)

As for oven liners, I'm thinking for easier cleanup? I used a sheet of tinfoil under the element when I was in college.

Last edited:
I've had a gas oven for the last 25 years before moving in here. I didn't realize there would be an issue.
But, my next question is, why do they make oven liners?

Made by oven manufacturers so you think you need them and burn out elements that need to be replaced...:rolleyes:

And then they make the doors to drop down instead of opening like a regular door. That way you feel you have to use an oven liner so you won't have to clean the oven as often. Because you almost have to climb into the dang oven to get it clean. Hopefully self cleaning ovens will be a standard part of the stove just like a burner is. And that will put the oven liner folks out of business. :angel:

And then they make the doors to drop down instead of opening like a regular door. That way you feel you have to use an oven liner so you won't have to clean the oven as often. Because you almost have to climb into the dang oven to get it clean. Hopefully self cleaning ovens will be a standard part of the stove just like a burner is. And that will put the oven liner folks out of business. :angel:

Some oven doors are removable for cleaning. Didn't realize that for a long time. Sure makes it easier to clean the thing! Self cleaning ovens don't usually have the easy to remove doors.

Some oven doors are removable for cleaning. Didn't realize that for a long time. Sure makes it easier to clean the thing! Self cleaning ovens don't usually have the easy to remove doors.

Just be careful putting that door back on the hinges. If those hinges snap back into place, it can take a good hunk out of your fingers. No need for self cleaning ovens to have removable doors. Just wipe up the little ash on the floor of the oven. :angel:

My current range is self cleaning. I had my doubts that it would really do anything, but tried it anyway. IT'S MAGIC! I couldn't believe how clean it was with just a spot of ash in the bottom!

Right. No oven manual for me. It was in the early eighties, but the oven was from the seventies (you know, avocado green!). There was no manual with the range when I bought the house. It was one of the little drop in ranges with the push buttons on the front. Oh, such memories! :)

I have a friend that still uses one of those, but it's brown! She desperately wants a new range, but since it's a drop in, it'll take construction to put in a normal range, or lots of $$ for a new drop in range. She doesn't have the money for either. I'm always amazed at the baked goods that she can bake in that wreck of an oven!

I have a friend that still uses one of those, but it's brown! She desperately wants a new range, but since it's a drop in, it'll take construction to put in a normal range, or lots of $$ for a new drop in range. She doesn't have the money for either. I'm always amazed at the baked goods that she can bake in that wreck of an oven!

Oh yes, the chocolate brown appliances, and the harvest gold as well as the avocado green. All colors of the 70s! They went right along with the shag carpet!:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom