"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-23-2006, 10:51 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
all the grease runs into the little tray - clean up is a snap! i think the bacon even takes on a better taste not sitting in all that grease - it is a win-win situation! (oh my gosh, i sound like a commercial!)

Old 02-12-2006, 11:13 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

I've tried cooking bacon on our foreman grill, but it never seems to do well. I bought one of the smaller ones years ago since it is just the two of us. I just feel like it should come out crinkly (sp?) and stiff. Does that make sense? It has been awhile since I've tried it, maybe tonight will try it again since I've got some in the fridge.

Also, when cooking the bacon, do you layer them on there or do you just put one slice on per row? I always feel like the grates should be touching the whole piece of bacon and sometimes feel like it isn't. For example, sometimes after putting hamburgers on the grill, I will pull out some sliced frozen peppers or onions and grill them until carmelized. I pile them up there so that the grill grates will cook them down.

Thanks.

Old 02-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I laid the bacon all in a row - no stacking. It took longer than I thought. I let the bacon sit a bit before we ate some - I froze some too. It stays nice and flat. Good luck, I can't wait to hear how it turns out!
Old 02-21-2006, 03:33 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

We used the foreman grill a few days ago to make BLT sandwiches. It worked really well, you just have to have patience. We only have a small one I bought several years ago, so it took a while to fry them up. If we had the big one, then it would have been a lot faster. Plus the dog made out like a bandit too. We put a little of the bacon grease on his food. He thought he got a nice little treat.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:38 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie
i got a george foreman grill for christmas - i am wondering if i can fry this bacon on the grill?
This makes me laugh because this happened in a recent episode of 'The Office'. Michael likes bacon first thing in the morning, so he has the grill in his bedroom....he gets out of bed and accidentally steps on the grill and burns his feet.....you had to be there.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:05 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I've never tried this on my George Foreman grill, but I imagine that it can be done.

~Corey123.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:10 PM   #17
Master Chef

We have a fairly large one...big enough for 6 large burgers. We have used it for bacon, and as Pax says, you need to be a little patient, and be ready switch grease trays, but the bacon will be crisp and beautiful, not at all greasy. Just be sure to spray your grill with dooking spray first, so the grill will be easier to clean. The cure from the bacon can be a mess to clean up.
One thing I love about the G.F. grill, besides how lovely the bacon turns out, is that you don't have grease all over the stove after.
My husband, a dedicated pan frier, fixes brunch every Sunday, and while I don't like to look a gift horse in the mouth, the stove is always a mess afterward. He wants that fat in the pan, though, so he can cook the eggs in it.
A real heart attack on a plate.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:52 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I own the mid-size unit that can accommodate up to 4 burgers at once.

~Corey123.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:24 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I have never had success in cooking bacon on a GF Grill. I like my bacon crisp and I know of no better way of getting it crisp than nuking it.

We argue in our house whether to nuke it on absorbant paper or not. My preference is to put absorbant (kitchen) paper on top only.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:45 AM   #20
Executive Chef

There's also another way to cook it. In the oven.

This, I'm told, reduces shrinkage and curling up.

~Corey123.