"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 07-18-2007, 11:33 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Can I make iced tea with a machine?

I've been trying to not drink so much cola and instead drink tea which I like more and has less suger and more caffiene. Iced tea comes in 2-liters at the store, but it has too much sugar, 8/11 as much as cola does. I like a little sugar but not like that. Can I make iced tea with a a coffee maker? I know I can boil a pot of water, but that takes a long time and half the time I forget it and ruin the pot. So, I want to make it with a coffee machine or any other type of machine that's not very expensive. Can I do that?

Old 07-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Iced Tea Makers are available at Amazon.com. I am sure you could also find one at Target, Wally World, Martha-Mart, Linens 'N' Stuff or Bed, Bath, and All That Other Junk.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Tea is properly brewed with boiling water. Coffee makers do not get water nearly that hot. You can do it but the flavor may be lacking.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Typically, I make tea in a pot, but it does work in a coffee pot.

Iíve made iced tea in a coffee pot many times (first out of curiosity, and many times because I was being lazy). It comes out fine. I would make a full pot with 8 tea bags in the hopper, and then pour that into a gallon pitcher with sugar and enough water to make a full gallon. Works fine. If you want stronger tea, use a few more bags. Since the tea bags arenít going to steep in the water (as they would in a pot), coffee pot tea can be a little weaker than had you made it in a pot.

You can also get an iced tea machine which is really just a coffee pot of sorts reserved only for tea.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin
Typically, I make tea in a pot, but it does work in a coffee pot.

Iíve made iced tea in a coffee pot many times (first out of curiosity, and many times because I was being lazy). It comes out fine. I would make a full pot with 8 tea bags in the hopper, and then pour that into a gallon pitcher with sugar and enough water to make a full gallon. Works fine. If you want stronger tea, use a few more bags. Since the tea bags arenít going to steep in the water (as they would in a pot), coffee pot tea can be a little weaker than had you made it in a pot.

You can also get an iced tea machine which is really just a coffee pot of sorts reserved only for tea.

I suppose you could put the teabags directly into the pot and let the water run into it then leave it to steep while being heated by the coffee maker.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:02 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I suppose you could put the teabags directly into the pot and let the water run into it then leave it to steep while being heated by the coffee maker.
What I did once (back when I used the coffee pot for tea) was to pull the bags out of the hopper and drop them into the pot and let it sit there and steep for a while. Turned out much better.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #7
Senior Cook

When I make ice tea I boil 1/2 the amount of water I need and place all the teabags in it and let it steep. After that, I remove the tea bags and add the other half water, cold. It takes less time to cool that way and works just fine as far as I am concerned.

I also use an electric type kettle to boil quicker.

For sweetener, I often use stevia, a natural stevia with a very low glycemic index. Sometimes I combine the stevia with raw cane sugar.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by riker1384
... I want to make it with a coffee machine or any other type of machine that's not very expensive. Can I do that?
Iced tea machines are designed to make tea quickly. As a result, the tea I made in the one I had always came out cloudy.

Since I drink more coffee than I do tea, the tea made with my coffee maker always had a slight coffee taste.

I now boil water in a kettle and pour boiling water over a family size teabag in a Pyrex carafe. The tea bag is then removed after a certain amount of time. After that cools, water is added to dilute the tea to the right strength.

I prefer unsweetened tea. "Milo's" brand tea is available at the grocery stores around here and is quite popular with people who prefer sweetened tea. My understanding is that they sweeten with brown sugar.

Tom
Old 07-18-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
I prefer unsweetened tea. "Milo's" brand tea is available at the grocery stores around here and is quite popular with people who prefer sweetened tea. My understanding is that they sweeten with brown sugar.
Tom
I LOVE Miloís! Iíve gotten lazy about iced tea lately, and Miloís sweetened tea is just right for me.

I still do make tea on occasion (like when I run out of Miloís and donít feel like going to the store), and my preferred method is to put 8 bags (Lipton) in a large pot, add 2 quarts water and bring to a boil, cover with lid and remove from heat. After a few minutes of steeping, I pour it into a gallon pitcher with sugar and add enough water to make a gallon. Works every time.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:12 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I make my own mint ice tea. Peppermint(washed) from the front yard about enough stems that bent up it loosely fills an 8 cup measure. Put it in a 6 qt stock pot add 2 qts cold water and 6 tea bags. As it begins to heat and the water darkens I use a french rolling pin as a giant bar muddler to further crush the mint. When it just gets to a rolling boil it is done. I put 1/3 cup sugar in two 1/2 gallon pitchers and strain the tea. 1 qt to each pitcher. Pile in the ice to make to the top. Stir, taste maybe add some lemon or just a sprig of mint to the glass. When the mint is lush I'll skip the sugar.

I have but don't use a Mr. Ice Tea machine because it can't handle the mint. It is set up like a Mr. Coffee but uses its own 1/2 gallon ice tea pitcher instead of a coffee pot.