"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 11-12-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Can I use my pressure cooker as a slow cooker?

Hi!
I have a Cuisinart electric pressure cooker. I have a great recipe that requires a slow cooker. Do you think I could put my pressure cooker on its low setting and just not lock the top and cook it all day just like a slow cooker or do you think I need to go out and buy a slow cooker?
Thanks!

Old 11-12-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
Cook

If you don't lock the lid aren't you just using your pressure cooker as a big pot? I have one I use for canning but it's not electric so maybe I'm not understanding what this thing is. :)

Old 11-12-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

You can use any pot to slow cook a dish. Just prepare it and put in the oven at 300F and cook until it's done. You can also simmer it on the stovetop until done.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
Cook

Are you thinking of leaving it unattended all day or will you be there to keep an eye on it?
Old 11-13-2007, 04:11 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You can use any pot to slow cook a dish. Just prepare it and put in the oven at 300F and cook until it's done. You can also simmer it on the stovetop until done.

True, but you can't leave many things to cook for 8 hours.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:59 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

They said it was electric. Couldn't you just turn it on to its lowest setting? I think that's what they were getting at. Unless electric pressure cookers' settings don't start that low.... then I could see putting it in an oven. Still, seems like slow cookers/crock pots are thicker material than any slow cooker I've seen so maybe you do need to buy a slow cooker, Charlottesville.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:02 PM   #7
Master Chef

You should never ever leave a pressure cooker unattended.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
Head Chef

Pressure Cooker and Slow Cooker in two different ways so even at low heat settings it does not make sense to substitute one for another.

Pressure Cooker creates an airtight seal and cooks food by generating steam which helps tenderdize meat and other hard to cook things in a shorter amount of time.

Slow Cooker also helps tenderize but uses low setting to break those tough fibres and requires a good amount of liquid to help this process.

I don't think it would be advisable to leave a pressure cooker electric or otherwise on a low setting for long periods of time or unattended (as Jennyema mentioned). If you do that you may have an issue with burnt food before you will have an issue with a lid bursting open and causing burns or other destruction (at lower heat lids don't normally burst or fly open).