"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 07-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Can pesto be made in a blender?

I'm about to get the KitchenAid 5 speed blender, and I'm wondering if it can be used to make pesto. I have a mini Cuisinart food processor but it's a bit too small for the quantity of pesto I want to make. I hope the blender will work. Has anyone had any experience making pesto in a blender?

Old 07-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I have done it but it's difficult to do because there isn't enough liquid to get the food moving.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Andy beat me to it.

Sure. Keep in mind a blender needs liquid in order to process. Put in your oil. A FP, not so much, though some helps.

My experience with making pesto is to process it a little at a time. Don't overcrowd, use the chute.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I noticed that a chef on tv poured the olive oil in while the basil and nuts were being chopped in a food processor. I guess that wouldn't work in a blender since it needs liquid to get the basil and nuts chopping.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I think I would go with the FP, and just do small batches.

I recall overstuffing my FP with basil, I had huge amounts, it took a long time to process!
Old 07-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver
I think I would go with the FP, and just do small batches.

I recall overstuffing my FP with basil, I had huge amounts, it took a long time to process!
My mini Cuisinart doesn't have a large spout for pouring, just small holes in the top. Do you think that will work for pouring the oil in?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
My mini Cuisinart doesn't have a large spout for pouring, just small holes in the top. Do you think that will work for pouring the oil in?

You don't have to be fussy with the oil for pesto. Just add it to the FP and go.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.

You don't have to be fussy with the oil for pesto. Just add it to the FP and go.
Glad to hear that. Seems much easier than trying to pour it in.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:57 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I make a lot of pesto. I've used both. I prefer the FP. I do about 4 cups of "greens" each batch. I put the nuts and garlic in first, pulse that, add the greens, and then drizzle the oil in, adding the cheese last. I don't use pine nuts EVER -- deathly allergic. I cannot buy pesto because of this allergy (discovered it making pesto with pine nuts). I use almonds, walnuts, filberts, pistachio, cashews, pecans, peanuts--whatever nuts I have on hand or I can get on special. Sometimes I toast them, sometimes not. I like Swiss Chard with pecans, filberts, or walnuts. I like coriander with almonds or pistachio. Spinach with almonds.

I also use other things than basil (although, I always use some basil --I prefer the Greek basil if I'm not using basil for 100% of it). Some of the other greens I've used include Swiss Chard, coriander, parsley, and spinach. I keep meaning to use peas, but we generally eat them before I remember. I find Swiss Chard pesto is a great way to preserve the Swiss Chard harvest. Because I use mature SC, I do blanch it first for about 1-1/2 minutes. I've also used other cheeses other than parm.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:10 AM   #10
Certified Cake Maniac

I've always made it in the blender and it has always turned out. Never did it any other way so had no reason to doubt it would work!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote