"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-14-2004, 08:20 AM   #11
Sous Chef

I've got ceramic top electric and a Lodge cast iron and have good results on it. I just lift rather than slide and make sure I don't drop it.

Old 09-14-2004, 11:48 AM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Thank you all very much! I relly appriciate all your help & advice. Now my next step is to get some cast iron. All I have is a tiny pan that is not good for much of anything. I have used it a few times in the oven to reheat fried apple pies(I can only do 1 at a time in it though). Gives them back that real nice crunchy/flakey just fried crust.

Old 09-14-2004, 03:29 PM   #13
Sous Chef

crewsk, if you get a regular-sized cast iron frying pan, lift it a few times away from the stove first to get used to it, because they are quite heavy. I recommend Lodge Logic - these are pre-seasoned and have an exellent finish for only $4+- more than unseasoned.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:52 PM   #14
Master Chef

Thanks Otter I'll keep that in mind. I may just have to start lifting weights with cast iron pans! LOL!
Old 09-28-2004, 02:41 PM   #15
Master Chef

Thanks all. I've owned a glass top stove for three years and absolutely love it. Those who hate them .... have spouses who clean their stove after they make a mess. I bought a set of pots & pans when I bought the stove, and the only problems I've had have been cosmetic and comedic (mice gather dog food and make nests under the stove top!) But I didn't know about the cast iron. Now I won't fear it.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:25 PM   #16
Master Chef

I use both my cast iron and LeCreuset on a ceramic top stove all the time with fine results. :P
Old 09-28-2004, 04:27 PM   #17
Master Chef

Thanks jennyema! If I could stay away from the computer long enough I might be able to go get some cast iron!
Old 10-25-2004, 07:57 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

ceramic range top

Hey everyone. I just joined this site :) I just bought a new ceramic range(haven't got it delivered yet). The salesman said I could only use stainless steel cookware on it. I see you also can use cast iron. What about any other kind? I hate to get rid of all my old pot's and pans.
Any advice?
Old 10-25-2004, 08:21 AM   #19
Master Chef

I only have 2 stainless steel pots. I use non-stick pots & pans on my ceramic top with no problems. The only thing I remember for sure the sales lady telling me not to use is Visions(glass)cookware because the ceramic top of the stove & the glass of the cookwear will to conduct the heat properly. I didn't have to worry about that since I don't have any Visions cookwear.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:10 AM   #20
Senior Cook

I'm gonna revive this topic since I can't find a thread related to ceramic stove tops and the griddle/grill pans. Does anyone use a grill pan on your cook top? This is probably the only thing I could use cast iron for, since it's quick cooking...anyone try the Lodge grill pan on the smooth top stove? Does it really cover both burners? Any T&T/experiences that I can learn from?
Thanks!