Ceramic cook tops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snug harbor

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I am thinking about replacing my range with one that has a ceramic cooktop. I have heard pros and cons on the ceramic ones. Some people claim that they can shatter if anything gets dropped on it. I would appreciate any information or experiences anyone has had with their ceramic cooktop. Thanks! Snug Harbor:ermm:

Snug, check out earlier threads in the appliance section. There is some discussio on this very subject.

I general, smooth tops should work well. If you drop a heavy pot full of food there is a possibility of breakage but that is a slim chance.

I have a ceramic hob abd I love it. It's easy to regulate and very easy to keep clean. I'd say the probability of your dropping something on it is pretty much zero. When did you last drop a saucepan or casserole full or otherwise onto your cooker?:)

We have one, but I would rather have a nice gas range. My wife likes the range as it is easy to clean, as stated, but I don't like cooking on it.

WE have one and have had it for about 5 years. easy to clean, but do be careful, I dropped a bottle of wine I was using for a recipe and it cracked the cooktop..We are now one a new one but in the process of putting in a wolfe gas cook top

kadesma

Ceramic tops

My friend has one and she says she would never ever buy another one. She finds the heat to be very inconsistent and would much rather have a "gas" range.
:)

I would certainly take one over a coil electric of old. Easy to clean and certainly plenty of heat. Must have flat bottom pots...warped ones will dance across it.

I hated electric stoves until I moved into the house I live in now. Built in 1884, with gas light fixture fittings still in place.

But some dimwit pulled out the gas line years and years ago. $$$ to put it back in.

So I inherited an electric ceramic-top stove, which is probably 12 years old at this point.

I adore it! It's the best stove I have ever used. Boils water quickly, keeps even temp, very low temp, changes temp quickly, etc. And it's a breeze to clean.

I use all my cookware on it, cast iron, Le Creuset, even pieces that have a raised bottom.

I do have a small scratch, so you need to be careful not to drag things on it and obviously if you drop something very heavy on it, it can break.

I sure hope mine doesn't ever conk out on me!

I just got one myself. Have had it about a week now. I like it so far. If you are used to cooking electric then you will probably like it. If you are used to cooking gas you probably won't. I do think it is better than the coils with heating up quickly and maintaining heat consistently. Clean up is a breeze too. And you have a nice flat surface to use as extra counter when it is not in use.

Thank you for your responses. I will probably get a ceramic stove-top for ease of clean-up, but will look for a one-piece cover because I am very clumsy, and my microwave will be above it. I've done some on-line searches for covers, and have found one. Either that, or maybe I can make my own cover (any suggestions?). Gas stoves scare me--I used one, but many years ago--and my cat got on the counter while my back was turned and lost her whiskers. Thanks again! Snug Harbor

My friend has one and she says she would never ever buy another one. She finds the heat to be very inconsistent and would much rather have a "gas" range.
:)

I have a ceramic GAS cooktop by GE. I absolutely love it! I prefer to cook on gas instead of electric. This cooktop is extremely easy to clean! It is called GE Profile Gas on Glass Cooktop. The one I have is "stainless" - which means the knobs on the right are stainless and there is a 1/2" strip across the bottom that is stainless-other than that, it is the same as the picture.

Hi,
I never heard of a "gas" ceramic cooktop. I'll look into this, as gas is an option. It's very attractive. More attractive than the bulky gas stoves I've seen. Thank you! Snug Harbor P.S. Cat is no longer in our family, unfortunately.

I have a ceramic top range. I would prefer gas but there is no gas in my area so ceramic it is. I think it better than the coil. It is easy clean up but I am not in love with the way it heats for cooking.

Hi,
I never heard of a "gas" ceramic cooktop. I'll look into this, as gas is an option. It's very attractive. More attractive than the bulky gas stoves I've seen. Thank you! Snug Harbor P.S. Cat is no longer in our family, unfortunately.

If you have any questions just PM me - I would love to help you if you need it. I absolutely LOVE my cooktop!

I'll be a lone dissenter with my very first post! I have a Jennair ceramic cooktop range and I do not like it at all. It isn't that easy to keep clean, crud burns on and it takes scrubbing to clean off. It's not that responsive when you change the heat setting either, so it's hard to actually cook on. I've worked around it for 13 years, and when we remodel the kitchen I am planning on going with either gas or induction. I had planned on gas but have been reading up on induction and that looks promising. I just bought a small portable induction hob to see if I like cooking on it and that will help me make the decision. That all said, there are many people who love their ceramic cooktops. I'm just not one of 'em.

Have fun,
Cj

I just bought a house (well, I close escrow the first week of March) with a glass top stove in place that, having just bought a house, I can not afford to replace just yet, but I have never liked an electric stove top, so I am sure that, as soon as I build enough equity to revamp the kitchen, it will go out the door along with the ugly, cheap cabinets and be replaced by a 36-inch dual fuel with two ovens. I already measured, and it will fit if I eliminate a set of three 6-inch wide drawers.

:) I have a Whirlpool ceramic topped stove and I love it its about 8-10 years old and behaves as it should.I love the the bigger coils for quick hot heat like for pasta I find the gas stove doesnt crank up fast enough for me at 7500 ft elevation. The only draw back is when we lose power out here sometimes up to three days so for that I have my trusty coleman camp stoves and Baby Weber for back up.I have taken great care of my stove no scratches on the top and usually have no boil overs so clean up is a breeze.The only thing else I wish I had is convection in the oven.My oven is still callibrated after all these years something I dont think gas ovens can do.

I'll be a lone dissenter with my very first post! I have a Jennair ceramic cooktop range and I do not like it at all.
Have fun,
Cj

I think it might be a problem with Jennair. I had a Jennair gas cooktop for years (came with another house) and it was horrible. All the complaints you have about your ceramic-top I had with their gas. You practically had to start your pasta water boiling before you went to work if you wanted spaghetti for dinner.

Now I have a Whirlpool electric ceramic-top, like jpmcgrew, and love it.

Hmmmm, strange.
I have a Jenn Air gas cooktop and it works absolutely great, specially from mid-point down. This cooktop is almost perfect when used with cooper pans since they don't need a lot of heat. It is not ceramic, just a conventional 30" four burners unit.

I have two - one house has a Whirlpool Gold and it's pretty good for an electric smooth top. The other house has a GE Pofile and I hate it. Output is anemic.

I'd prefer gas but it's not even a possibility for one house (we'd have to run propane in). The other house only has a microwave vent so I doubt we'd go gas there either.

Back
Top Bottom