Check out my nifty flea market find!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JillBurgh

Sous Chef
I got this beautiful (IMO) stainless coffee urn I bought at the flea market. She cleans up nice.

$5!

I have a question, though. I never used a percolator of any sort. Will the electric type percolator stop on its own or do I have to unplug it to make it stop? There are no switches or buttons. Also, if it won't stop on its own, how can I keep the coffee warm in there if it's not plugged in? Thanks so much for your help!
picture.php

What a great deal!

If it;s working correctly, it should stop perking and keep the coffee warm automatically.

You should be able to keep it plugged in. It will brew (based on timing mechanism) and then keep brew hot.

These were common before Mr Coffee and all that followed and that's how they all worked.

Boy, do I feel like a dinosaur!
Has anyone NOT seen a rotary dial phone?

You should be able to keep it plugged in. It will brew (based on timing mechanism) and then keep brew hot.

These were common before Mr Coffee and all that followed and that's how they all worked.

lol My Gramma still has a rotary phone that is still permanently attached to the wall. She won't let the phone company come to update her lines and why should she? It seems to be working for her! She's 90....
:LOL:

She also has that rotary phone plastic "dialer" that the hardwares stores would give away. It's probably 50 or 60 years old.:ohmy:

:w00t2:Oh boy that's a good cup o' joe!
Thanks for the tips my coffee will be the showstopper at my picnic next weekend.
Not sure if that's what I want people to remember the most, though...:blink:

I love coffee, I love tea, I love the java jive and it loves me!

Nice find Jill!!!! I'm not big on tea or coffee... but for those that are, I'm sure it's a bargain... looks nifty too!

my late BIL still had the rotary dial phone in his house, never got a push button phone.

my boss tells a story about one of his son's teenage friends. he (my boss) still had an old rotary phone in his workshop in his garage, and the kid needed to call home, so he went into the workshop to use the phone.
after a few minutes, he called my boss in to ask why the phone didn't work.
he had been pressing on the numbers inside the little holes of the round thing on the front of the phone, but nothing was happening... :ermm:

andy, i remember taking typewriters off of the desks in the newsrooms and replacing them with green or orange monochrome monitors and big ol' keyboards, back in the mid 80's.
it was fun watching the writers freak out thinking that they'd never get the hang of these new things.

I have one in my closet. I use it when I have enough company to need two pots of coffee!

you secretly call someone from the closet to bring over another pot of coffee?

seems like a lot of trouble, but whatever... :rolleyes:;)

My dearest Jill, while you ponder Bucky's question ^ I will be PM'ing you with my address. This piece of "stuff", let's call it, is a waste of space and you shouldn't have it in your house. Nope, I am here to take it off your hands FREE of charge, yes, that is right, FREE of charge :mrgreen:

I'm just sweet, kind, and helpful that way :angel: (shadup bucky!) :glare:

My dearest Jill, while you ponder Bucky's question ^ I will be PM'ing you with my address. This piece of "stuff", let's call it, is a waste of space and you shouldn't have it in your house. Nope, I am here to take it off your hands FREE of charge, yes, that is right, FREE of charge :mrgreen:

I'm just sweet, kind, and helpful that way :angel: (shadup bucky!) :glare:
LOL I guess that means you like my taste in "junk!" You're welcome to have anything from the flea market of a basement I have here.. but the urn is off limits for now! And it works perfectly except a foot fell off last night. I'm going to try to gorilla glue it.

Great find! I would love to have one of those in the corner for special occasions and what-not.
Back about 8 years ago when I worked for a telecommunications company no one could figure out why this one persons phone would not work. The tech would go out and his phone worked just fine. The customer was furious because it had worked just fine until she switched to us. She believed we had ruined her phone.
So, they escalated to me. She proceeded to tell me all about her wonderful 50 year old phone and how it had that 'antique' look with wood and brass rotary dial. While she talked away, I quietly went into the system and took off the 'tone' feature from her line....

Pulse rotary does not work with tone.... needless to say she was quite thrilled to be able to use her phone again! I also mentioned to her she could never hook up any other type of phone to that same line as it would not work without 'tone' on the line.

When I was searching online for instructions on how to use the coffee percolator, I found a site selling "antique" percolators that looked a lot like mine. They were selling them for as much as $135-$200. I sure got a good deal!

Back
Top Bottom