Chopping/slicing -- Cuisinart or KitchenAid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cookie Elf

Assistant Cook
I have an older model Cuisinart, which I hesitate to use for small jobs because I hate to clean all the parts. I have a recent model Kitchenaid mixer, for which I am considering the attachments which slice and chop. Can anyone compare these? Which is more effective? Which is easier for cleanup?

I don't use any power tools for "small jobs". It's not worth the effort of setting up the FP/mixer the cleaning up, even though I would put all the parts in the DW.

I have an 11 qt. Cuininart FP and a Cuisinart mini on my counter and just throw it all in the dishwasher after.

Dont use for chopping since it does that way too unevenly.

I cant see hauling out a Kitchenaid mixer to chop anything.

I have an 11 qt. Cuininart FP and a Cuisinart mini on my counter and just throw it all in the dishwasher after.

Dont use for chopping since it does that way too unevenly.

I cant see hauling out a Kitchenaid mixer to chop anything.

I have a Cuisinart mini too. However, the only time I use it is when a superfine texture is important. Such as when I want to get onion past my SIL.

I suppose if I kept it on the counter, I'd probably use it more often.

I have a Cuisinart mini too. However, the only time I use it is when a superfine texture is important. Such as when I want to get onion past my SIL.

I suppose if I kept it on the counter, I'd probably use it more often.

Jen, your big Cuisinart is much bigger than mine, which has only an 11 cup capacity.

Jen, your big Cuisinart is much bigger than mine, which has only an 11 cup capacity.

Yes, it does take up over half of my kitchen but it's swell when I'm catering the Patriots training table.

I use the mini pretty often. I make salad dressing in the mini a lot and use it for small blending tasks like marinades that might have garlic or onions that I can chop while blending.

When my GF came home with this a few weeks ago, my first words were what ya gonna do with that piece of (WELL LETS JUST SAY JUNK). Its a 2 cup Ninja. Well I ate my words! Although it does not slice it sure does a good job of chopping and liquefying. Nice for the small jobs a
39817-albums930-picture5241.jpg
nd easy clean up. I find myself using it often. Has 4 sharp blades.

Oh man, you got a red one... they only had blue when I got mine ;)
I'll grab my Ninja before I do my FP. Way easier to rinse out without all the nooks and crannies of a FP with their safety features. And it just plain does a better job with those dual blades.

Oh man, you got a red one... they only had blue when I got mine ;)
I'll grab my Ninja before I do my FP. Way easier to rinse out without all the nooks and crannies of a FP with their safety features. And it just plain does a better job with those dual blades.

Nooks and crannies? What nooks and crannies?

I have a Sunbeam Oskar mini FP. I toss everything in it. It has the one blade and can almost liquify anything I feed it. I also have a large Robot Coup FP. It is so old, it doesn't even have the wide prong on the plug. But that thing is one workhorse. Between my KA and large FP i would rather use the Robot Coupe for most work. I have five different blades for it. It can cut the cabbage in seconds for slaw. And it has a big bowl. It is great at kneading bread dough. And I don't have to worry about it bouncing around like the KA does. They are both easy to clean. And I don't have a DW. :angel:

I have a Sunbeam Oskar mini FP. I toss everything in it. It has the one blade and can almost liquify anything I feed it. I also have a large Robot Coup FP. It is so old, it doesn't even have the wide prong on the plug. But that thing is one workhorse. Between my KA and large FP i would rather use the Robot Coupe for most work. I have five different blades for it. It can cut the cabbage in seconds for slaw. And it has a big bowl. It is great at kneading bread dough. And I don't have to worry about it bouncing around like the KA does. They are both easy to clean. And I don't have a DW. :angel:

I've always wanted a Robo Coupe!

Oh I see.

I never use that thing. But when I do it just goes in the DW

Yeah, it's a pain in the butt, but it is integrated with the on/off, so I'm stuck using it. It's not easy to rinse, but it needs rinsed before putting it in the DW or the shredded carrots (for instance) will always find a place to pool and not get washed off. By the time I'm done flipping and rinsing and flipping and rinsing some more it's practically washed :LOL:

I've always wanted a Robo Coupe!

There was a fire in the building my neice was living in. Mostly smoke damage for the second and third floor. The woman never came back to clean out her apartment. So my neice grab the RC for me. The casing is yellow from the smoke and age. I have tried everything to get it back to white. I give up. That has no effect on how it works. I have replaced the bowl and the first time I used it, the handle broke. So I used gorilla glue to put it back on. Works fine now. One of the blades is for slicing. I think it is 4mm wide. I am no good with math. I know there is a smaller slicer. I also have the grater blade and the bread dough one. That is plastic and really does a great job kneading. I can still get parts for it. I want the slicer that makes thinner ones. I will have to have Spike do the math for me. They also have a blade for French Fry cutting. I am not too sure on wanting that one.

The motor is a workhorse. It can handle anything you ask it to do. I use my RC more than my KA. :angel:

I've had a Cuisinart for about 30 years, and in all that time the only thing I've ever used it for consistently is to make the filling for Buckeyes. Which I make at most once or twice a year, if I make them at all.

There are several reasons for that, not the least of which is that the feed tube is far too small to be convenient. I know why they did it that way - to keep stupid people from sticking their hands in there and slicing off their fingers. Not being a stupid person I find this highly annoying and very limiting. By the time I've cut something up to fit in the feed tube, I might as well finish the job with the knife and save the hassle of cleaning the machine. I've seen the "new, larger, improved" feed tubes and they're too small too.

However, a couple of years ago I broke down and bought a Borner V-Slicer - the older model, not the newer model. I find the older model preferable for several reasons.

At first I didn't think I would use it that much, but after a few times, I find I use it almost every time I cook now. I can slice onions thinly and evenly in less time than it takes to peel them, or potatoes for home fries or scalloped potatoes. It juliennes cucumbers (for various Asian dishes such as Korean banchans). It also makes matchsticks quickly and easily for ginger, potatoes, and carrots. It makes shoestring style slices as quickly and easily. Running an onion through the shoestring size slicer is quicker than chopping.

I also got the extra blades for it (you can find them at Simply Good Stuff) and an extra holder for the blades. These are a smaller size julienne and a larger size that will make Texas fries. I've also got some of the separate cutters such as the Julienne cutter which makes perfect strands for hash browns - much easier than a grater.

I've cut cabbage for slaw on it as well. In short, anything I ever imagined doing in a food processor, the Borner does quicker, better, more easily, and is much much easier to clean, as well as taking up far less space to store and weighing a lot less.

I love this thing and in the first couple of months that I had it - before I'd got used to it even - I used it more often than I've used the food processor in the 30 years that I've had it. The only thing I can conceive of doing with the FP now are a few mixing tasks that my stand mixer doesn't handle well, such as the very heavy "dough" for Buckeyes.

I especially like the safety pusher that comes with it. My hands are small and I have lost a lot of strength and dexterity, but it is easy for me to use and makes using the V-slicer 100% safe to use. It is in my opinion the best safety holder made for any mandoline I've ever seen.

For other tasks that require chopping small amounts or grinding things to a paste I got a tiny little wet grinder - the Chef Pro Wet and Dry Food Grinder. It makes short work of any small amount I need chopped or ground, and in fact has about 2 or 3 times the capacity of the coffee grinder I used to use to grind spices. It doesn't do a good job on very lightweight pieces such as thyme (they fly up in the vortex created by the very powerful blades) but anything else it pulverizes or chops, depending on how long you leave the chopper on. It should not be run more than 30 seconds at a time - it is much too small to have a built-in fan to cool the motor - but I've rarely had anything take more than two or three pulses at most before I have a fine paste. There is frankly no reason to run it longer.

Since I use the V-slicer for nearly all my chopping tasks, I can't say how evenly it might chop say an onion, but there are videos on youtube if you want to see what it does in that way.

I would recommend the V-slicer and the Chef Pro wet/dry grinder for most chopping/slicing tasks. Or, you could look into the Salad Shooter Pro - which I use for grating cheeses mostly, occasionally for slicing things like the smaller thinner carrots that are too small to be convenient for the Borner to handle.

Thanks!

Your replies have been helpful (and entertaining!:LOL:.) I think I'll keep using the Cuisinart for slicing jobs like cucumbers, mushrooms, and potatoes; and I'll keep fussing over the nooks and crannies when I clean up afterward. I love your picture...my model is an older and clunkier one than yours!

I'm not looking to give up my trusty knives either. But now I think I'd like a Ninja, too, for quick non-messy chopping.

My lovely Kitchenaid mixer (always on the counter-top) will remain without accessories but is well-loved for baking and for mashed potatoes.

Your replies have been helpful (and entertaining!:LOL:.) I think I'll keep using the Cuisinart for slicing jobs like cucumbers, mushrooms, and potatoes; and I'll keep fussing over the nooks and crannies when I clean up afterward. I love your picture...my model is an older and clunkier one than yours!

I'm not looking to give up my trusty knives either. But now I think I'd like a Ninja, too, for quick non-messy chopping.

My lovely Kitchenaid mixer (always on the counter-top) will remain without accessories but is well-loved for baking and for mashed potatoes.

Spike's BIL died a year ago. He finally got around to cleaning out his room. Joe was hoping to get his own apartment in the future that never came. So every so often he would buy something for his apartment. One was a set of bubble wrap knives. I would n't say they were dull, but I kept one just to try it on a tomato. It wouldn't even cut that even after I had peeled it. But I do have a use for it. The back of the knife is nice and straight. Perfect for scraping off the extra flour when measuring. And it is light. I even tried to cut my finger. No go. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom