Cleaning cast iron stove grates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Essiebunny

Senior Cook
My gas range has cast iron grates. They are beginning to get dirty and I'm not sure what to use to clean them. I have tried sos, but it wasn't really the answer. Any ideas will be appreciated

Take them out in the back yard...lay them on news paper....spray with Easy Off Oven Cleaner...allow the cleaner to work...depending on how dirty they are...an hour or two.... Rinse and repeat if necessary. Read the instructions/cautions on the can and be careful.

I didn't think you could put cast iron in the dishwasher. They aren't covered with anything, just plain black cast iron. Will the dishwasher really work?

I didn't think you could put cast iron in the dishwasher. They aren't covered with anything, just plain black cast iron. Will the dishwasher really work?

The DW would be OK for porcelain covered cast iron. Plain CI gretes should not go in the DW. Use Uncle Bob's oven cleaner method.

Put them in the oven when you do an oven self cleaning cycle. Wipe off the ash afterwards.

The best (and easiest) way I've found to clean my cast iron stove grates is to spray them with oven cleaner, seal them in a plastic trash bag and let them sit overnight. In the morning, I just wash them in hot soapy water. They come out looking like new.

My most used burners are the cleanest.... so I rotate....
They are not painted, so I think I will try throwing them in the oven.

Take them out in the back yard...lay them on news paper....spray with Easy Off Oven Cleaner...allow the cleaner to work...depending on how dirty they are...an hour or two.... Rinse and repeat if necessary. Read the instructions/cautions on the can and be careful.

DITTO! Make sure it's the "cold oven cleaner". It may even take a couple days. Mine were horrid when I figured "it couldn't hurt". I left mine in the kitchen sink and just kept respraying them for a few days. They were sparkling afterwards! Now, it's much easier to keep them clean. I also sprayed the pans under the grate...does a great job! Rub off with the nylon side of a sponge. If it is stubborn just repeat! Mine are also enamel-coated.

(I see Katie E does the same thing!!!)

I use to take mine to the car wash but since getting the power washer for the deck and cars I just take them to the garage.

:chef:

Adillo303,
Are your grates plain cast iron or enameled?
My concern is rusting if they're put in the dishwasher.
If you tell me your grates are not enameled, I will use the dishwasher.
Do you use a regular cycle with the normal amount of dw soap?

Cast Iron

You can't put cast iron in the dishwasher. Scrub them down really well and let dry completely. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Slather on Crisco or cooking oil all over the cast iron and place in oven for one hour. This should last about a month or so.

Try not to let pots with water overflow! This causes the rust.:chef:

Oven Cleaner is, if I recall, a combination of lye and ammonia. A trick we used to use, and still use when I think about it, is to place oven grates, stove top grates, barbecue grates, etc, into a large, plastic garbage bag, with a bowl of ammonia. let it sit overnight. Everything just wipes off of the metal with a damp sponge, and there is no goop to clean up from oven spray. The fumes from the ammonia is all it takes. Everything comes out sparkling after the wipe-down. Dispose of the ammonia as you would normally. And remember, ammonia is naturally produced in nature and is part of the life cycle. In environmental classes, you learn that there is a part of the natural order called the ammonia cycle. Don't be fearful of the stuff. Just use properly, and don't use in an enclosed area without ventilation.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

You can't put cast iron in the dishwasher. Scrub them down really well and let dry completely. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Slather on Crisco or cooking oil all over the cast iron and place in oven for one hour. This should last about a month or so.

Try not to let pots with water overflow! This causes the rust.:chef:
Mine are cast iron similar in composition to a CI skillet. They have enjoyed numerous trips through the DW with no damage.

You will not hurt CI cookware by putting in the DW. What you will destroy is the seasoning.

Ours are cast iron and we hand wash them with dishes about once a week or so. They have never needed reseasoning and they have been in use for 60 years.

Back
Top Bottom