"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Cleaning my new Wolf L-series oven

model SO30FS - 30" single oven

I've only had it a few weeks, and lightly used, of course it didn't need cleaning, but I was curious about the "self clean" cycle, and what the heck it was a hot day so why not make my house totally uncomfortable? (This stated in retrospect. I should'a done it at night, maybe upon settling into bed?)

So after reading the owners manual I discovered that before a self clean cycle you should remove everything from the oven, the racks, the rack holding brackets, everything!!!

(see attachment 1)

I was amazed at the beauty of the blue porcelain interior of the oven. The owners manual says don't use ANYTHING to clean it, maybe a rag and warm water. You can use a razor to scrape off deposits.

So I hit the button and committed to a 4 hour clean cycle, 3 hours at probably hot enough to cremate, and an hour cool down.

After the clean cycle I reinserted the side brackets. (They just hook in, no tools required:

(see attachment 2)

Then you reinsert all the racks:

(see attachment 3)

They slide in and out like any ordinary stove. The bottom rack has some sort of easy slide arrangement.

The control panel has a "disappear" function, it turns a blind stainless steel surface. There's a small tab below the control panel that toggles it to open or close:

(see attachment 4)

So this was the easiest stove I ever cleaned. The black deposits turned into white ash as the manual promised. A few wipes with a damp paper towel disposed of them. (I did spend a bit of prep work with a single edge razor.)

The blue porcelain interior of the oven is beautiful, hypnotic. I've never had such a beautiful and practical oven, although of course I paid 10x what i'm used to paying for a stand alone range, so of course you would expect the best you ever got.

I'm pleased with my new Wolf electric convection oven. Probably if I bought the Viking I would have been equally pleased. I met one of my best friends' brother and wife this weekend and they had just purchased Viking. I was similarly pleased looking at their gear. I'm not so sure it's that important feature wise at this level; I compared the brands and both had almost identical features.

I hope to take a closer look at Diana's Viking oven and cooktop soon!

Old 08-27-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
Sous Chef

We have a gas 36" Wolf purchased to go into our remodeled kitchen in our old house. When we built the new house, the kitchen had to accommodate that work horse,the Wolf stove, not self cleaning but a great stove for 28 years. I have two sisters and a niece with the identical stoves.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I'm willing to bet that you didn't need to do any prep work with the razor. Mine, I just remove the racks and let it go, just a little ash in the bottom after the cycle is done!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Fire is nature's cleanser.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
Executive Chef

First of all, I would never set the self clean and then go to bed. I hate waking up to the sound of firefighters kicking down my door.

When I do a self-clean, I take out the racks, but I put my pizza stone and the stainless steel tank from my deep fryer inside.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Definitely do not need to pre-scrape. My 13 YO GE self cleans the worst messes (remember the banana bread that overflowed?) with no pre-cleaning. Set it and forget it. Granted, you get a bit of smoke but an exhaust fan/hood should deal with that. Then just wipe out the ash and you're done.

I don't understand why some folks fear self-cleaning ovens. The technology has been around for decades and works without a hitch.

As an aside, I try to clean the oven when it's already hot to save a bit on gas.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
Master Chef

Man, that's sparkling clean!! The auto clean feature is nice....but not on hot, humid days like what we've been having these past few days...:)
Anyway, that's a beautiful oven and am glad you're enjoying it!

Incidently, I was at my daughter's over the weekend and while she was preheating her Wolf range oven for some baked potatoes I noticed some smoke so I asked her when was the last time she cleaned the oven. Well apparently it has never been cleaned in the year and a half since she bought the house with this oven. It has the big red dial with no 'clean oven' selection. I assumed using easy off and following its direction was the way to go with her particular model so that's what I told her to do. I hope I gave her the correct advice.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

You don't have a lot of choices if the oven is not a self-cleaner.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
We have a gas 36" Wolf purchased to go into our remodeled kitchen in our old house. When we built the new house, the kitchen had to accommodate that work horse,the Wolf stove, not self cleaning but a great stove for 28 years. I have two sisters and a niece with the identical stoves.
Thanks for the reply! I'm sure my new Wolf will last 30+ years (given reasonable care), and I'll be lucky if I last 30 years (I'm trying to get the best care I can get). I'll be near 100 then, so it's safe to say that my Wolf is the last oven I'll ever own.

I hope my photos adequately communicated the beauty of this oven, the stainless steel racks and brackets (you can remove or install them all in 5 minutes or less) and the deep blue of the oven's beautiful interior surface.

It appears that my days of purchasing Easy Off oven cleaner are over. The manufacturer warns against using that stuff, and suggests to use a razor to scrape off the worst deposits, then just run a self clean cycle.

Well I was an idiot, I ran self clean during the heat of the afternoon. It has a function that you can preset a self clean for the early hours of the morning. I wish I knew how hot it got in there but I'm pretty sure it's safe to say it was way over 500F.

As advertised, it turned the splatters and deposits into a fine ash that wiped away with a damp paper towel. My oven is now showroom clean!

So far my opinion is that this wonderful oven was totally worth the price. And I'm pleased to know that this is the last oven I'll ever need.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I'm willing to bet that you didn't need to do any prep work with the razor. Mine, I just remove the racks and let it go, just a little ash in the bottom after the cycle is done!
I did do some initial cleaning but it appears it was unnecessary.

The Wolf manual advises "you should self clean your oven often." For sure the more often you do it the less the work will be and the more complete the cleaning you'll get.

Tags
oven