Cleaning Oven Windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I have a gas stove with a window in the door. When I use the self-cleaning feature, it cleans the interior of the oven well but it does not clean the glass window in the door.

First of all, does this happen with your oven?

Second, if it does, how do you clean it.

Thanks,

My oven door has a double pane of glass and the door itself has these slits so over the years some stuff has spilt down the door and stained the glass. Uncleanable. I just ignore it now.

We use a cleaner called Mr Miracle for our ovens at my apt. complex(I caretake), but ours are all electric but that stuff is powerful. The longer it sits the better it cleans but be careful of overspray it will ruin finish on just about anything lol...

I think we got the point but some also thought you were asking a question.
It seems not all that uncommon for some ovens to develop staining between the two sheets of glass in the door. I resorted to taking the door apart to remove such staining with ammonia. Now we cover the glass with a sheet of aluminum foil except when baking stuff like bread or cookies.

To clarify:

The deposits are on the surface of the window facing the oven, I can feel them. I won't be taking the door apart.

I clean my oven regularly, the window doesn't clean.

I am asking how to clean the window.

I have the exact same problem, Andy, and was struggling with it this morning, as a matter of fact. I had used the self-cleaning function last night, and I always have to wipe out some residue. But increasingly, there is more and more "grime" on the window that is resistant to cleaning. I find that I can get most of it off with a microfiber cloth and/or a nylon scrubbie thing and some elbow grease, but there are two or three stubborn spots that remain.

BTW, I tried Bon Ami and Softscrub, to no avail. I do not want to use anything stronger for fear of scratching the glass. I've ordered some microfiber sponges that a scrubber side, so I will try one of those when they arrive.

Success!

I tried a combination of solutions. I sprayed the window with Dawn Power Dissolver and let it work for about a half hour. Then I used a razor blade scraper followed by Windex and paper towels to clean it off.

It's not perfect but it's about 98% clean. I can live with that.

Thank you all for your help.

My oven door has a double pane of glass and the door itself has these slits so over the years some stuff has spilt down the door and stained the glass. Uncleanable. I just ignore it now.

I had the same problem with the oven in the house (new) we had before moving here. Like you, I ignored it after a while, but DID hang a teatowel over the door when we had buyers inspecting:ermm: I don't think they noticed.. it only took them 25 mins to decide to buy the house:)))

I stumbled across this old thread looking for something else. I've tried to clean the glass with a number of normal household cleaners that the manufacturer recommended (Windex, Simple Green), but nothing had any effect.

The supermarket didn't have Dawn Power Dissolver, but had a dish soap named Dawn Platinum Power Clean. I squirted some of this soap on the glass, covered the glass (and soapy water) with wet paper towels to help soak it, and then went off and did something else for an hour. I was able to scrape off the relatively soft gunk with a single edge razor blade in about 10 minutes. I think it's about as clean as you can get it (better than 98%).

Thanks for the info.

Sadly, Dawn Power Dissolver is no longer available. Glad the other stuff worked. I also considered using oven cleaner.

I now have a new problem. That inner glass in the oven door is now cracked. I have a replacement kit but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Could you use the ammonia trick?

Open the oven door, put down a layer of paper towels, saturate the towels with ammonia and cover them with plastic wrap or a trash bag and let it sit overnight.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom