Coffee grinder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
I just came from a rummage sale and was thrilled to find a brand new coffee grinder. I've been wanting one to use for spices. Do I have to worry about flavors staying in the grinder even after washing? Ones that will permiate (s/p ?) the next spices I grind?

I have never had a problem with the flavors mingling with whatever I use it for next.

A good way to clean it between uses is to take a small piece of bread and grind it up. That will pick up all the reminants of whatever you ground up last.

Will no. Now I just have to find a Juicer too! I love finding sales where the person receives kitchen items they never used.

yes your coffee would pick up the spices that were ground. No one wants cumin coffee :sick:

GB said:
yes your coffee would pick up the spices that were ground. No one wants cumin coffee :sick:

I got habenero coffee once. ONCE. :wacko:

I got a new grinder after that!

John

You should definitely use a separate grinder for your coffee. We had a fairly unpleasant coffee experience on morning after grinding peppers and mace. The next morning my brother, who was visiting, did not look closely and thought it was coffee and we had spicy coffee. Not an early morning favorite.

I just bought a Braun coffee grinder. I don't plan to grind up anything spicy in it. Besides the occasional coffee, it will just mainly be nuts and flax seeds. Now, the sales reps at the store said that coffee grinders should not be used for grinding anything except coffee because they are not designed for bits of tiny seeds which can get into the mechanism and ruin it. Duh? I found this hard to believe. Is that true? I bought the thing anyway since the accompanying literature did not specifically warn against grinding nuts and seeds.

What do you think?

I think the Sales Rep wants you to use it for spices so you'll come back and buy another one!!
I've always used a coffee grinder for my spices.

Chopstix - if you gound coffee beans in it then wouldn't you have little particles spinning around?

I have two Braun coffee grinders ... one for coffee and one for spices/herbs - and they have been working just fine for 12 years.

Hebrs, spices and coffee contain different oils - and I don't like my coffee tasting like herbs, or my herbs tasting like coffee.

So - in that respect, although not stated corectly, the sale's rep was right - you should have two. But, the problem isn't what you grind in it ... it is the combination of things you grind in it.

Michael in FtW said:
Chopstix - if you gound coffee beans in it then wouldn't you have little particles spinning around?

That's exactly what I was thinking! And the manufacturer did not specifically warn against it. So I just bought it. It didn't cost too much anyway.

I'm glad. Thank you for your responses!

I have only one coffee grinder, and a very overworked pestle and morter, lol. On occasion I have whizzed cardomon in the coffee grinder, then bread as GB said and then coffee. The first coffee has been slightly cardomon scented, but very delicious, after that the taste has been fine and normally coffee ish!

We bought a burr grinder for our coffee and I've retired the little whirly grinder for spices, etc. The difference in the quality of the coffee is amazing and we never have to worry about :) mix-ups:wacko: with cumin scented coffee! I love roasting peppercorns and usually have Bob crush them in the mortar & pestal. I seldom think to get out the little grinder, but I know it's on the boat somewhere. . . . . .todays' mission is to find the whirly grinder!:huh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

in addition to using Bread as GB stated, Rice is also another good neutraliser.

I grind Wheat in mine as well as coffee, but when going Coffee to wheat I always use the "Rice Wash" and then bread.
going the Other direction Wheat to Coffee isn`t so critical, a paper towel is fine :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom