Coffee Pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I think I'm needing a coffee pot, and wonder what you all are using. I have to keep it out on my counter, and would like a small-ish one. Any suggestions?

The coffee pot I have is one of those with the pods where you make one cup of coffee as you want it. Unfortunately it really isn't what you would call small. :(

I prefer the hand-poured method and I use a Melitta cone filter with a 'thermos' - you can get different sizes.

img_125814_0_1ed28984dd8d45efb356f5fd7989c75c.jpg

This is pretty close to what I am using. Mine has the black carafe, not the brushed aluminum, but other than that I think it is the same. I like this pot a lot. It really does keep the coffee perfect and piping hot for 4 hours like it says. I don't know if I would call it small, but it is not huge. We keep ours on the counter.

When I was travelling full time I needed a coffee pot that would stand up to abuse. I bought an el cr...po polly perk and the darned thing won't die. What I'd love if I were a real coffee oficionado would be a french press (a freind bought me one my first year in the RV and the glass broke a few days out). It looks pretty, has a bit of cachet in being a little different when you make coffee for guests, but is easy as it gets and makes delicious coffee.

Here's mine - I love it! Best feature on any coffeepot (IMO) is that it is programmable, not just for what time it turns on, but also how many hours it remains on.
PS - GB - yours looks very cool.

ps.gif
8453164.jpg
Krups 467: Crystal Arome Time, 10 Cup Black Coffeemaker, 24 Hour Programmable Timer, Unique Design Duo Filter System Removes Chlorine & Reduces Lime Scale Buildup For A Better Tasting Cup Of Coffee, Deep Brew Technology, Stop N' Serve Feature, Drip Free Carafe, Reduced Lime Scale Makes For Faster Brewing Time & Longer Machine Life

jkath I really like that one.
I've been thinking of getting a new one.

This is what I have now.
I love it but... I'm thinking it's time
I had a more modern coffee pot.

Only requirement for us is to be able to program it to come on and have brewed coffee when we get up.

PDS...yeah, I'm thinkin' it is time for you to get a new one!
Always check prices - I got mine for 60% off because it was on a sale day, plus it was during earlybird hours, and I had a coupon. (Kohl's)

I have had just about every brand imaginable, and I can tell you that:

1. Any coffeemaker you get free from a company that sells overpriced coffee by mail will be worth exactly what you paid for it.

2. If you see a coffeemaker you like better than the one you currently have, the one you currently have will NEVER die.

3. The more money you spend on a coffeemaker, the more disappointed you will be in it's performance.

4. Any Black & Decker appliance will expire immediately after the warranty does.

5. Melita products are inexpensive for a reason, they are cheap.

6. DeLonghi will spring a leak that will be unrepairable, no matter how many times you take it to the repair shop. If you return it to DeLonghi and they send you a new one, this one will also spring a leak within 30 days, and the replacement unit is not covered by warranty.

7. The Japanese may know how to make tea, but they know absolutely NOTHING about making coffee or coffeemakers.

8. Krups makes the best functioning, most reliable coffeemakers on the planet.

9. Braun is a close second.

10. In the long run, the most convenient thing to do is move next door to a Starbucks! This gets easier to do every day, because Starbucks breeds like rats.

Last edited:
pdswife said:
jkath I really like that one.
I've been thinking of getting a new one.

This is what I have now.
I love it but... I'm thinking it's time
I had a more modern coffee pot.

:ohmy: What's wrong with the old one? If it aint broke, don't fix it!

Chocolate, It is leaking like crazy, so I have to replace it.
Caine, You are right on - it is a DeLonghi.
Jkath and Rainee, The first time I had a progrmmable one, I thought it was heavenly to wake up to a full pot of coffee. THEN, one morning I woke up to a burning smell. The thing had shorted (or whatever) and was on fire burning a hole in my brand new countertop. I have never used that feature again. Be very careful if you do.

Sorry to hear about your counter top. We have been using one for about 20 years with no problems. Other than when that feature stops working and the coffee isn't ready.

Ours doesn't go off that much in advance of the alarm clock, so hopefully we would be up before it did any damage.

I use the same one GB does. I love the thermos. My coffee can sit in there for hours and never get that yucky burnt taste that happens when coffee sits on a hot surface for too long.

Z

lmao Caine - but how true.

GB - is yours a thermos versus a heated burner? I'm in need of a new coffee pot too and it was a toss up between the Cuisinart carafe model or the Braun carafe model. I think you and Caine have sold me on Braun. I won't have to pour my freshly brewed coffee into a thermos anymore to keep it fresh!

From the National Coffe Association.

Brewed coffee should be enjoyed immediately!

Pour it into a warmed mug or coffee cup so that it will maintain its temperature as long as possible. Brewed coffee begins to lose its optimal taste moments after brewing so only brew as much coffee as will be consumed immediately. If it will be a few minutes before it will be served, the temperature should be maintained at 180 - 185 degrees Fahrenheit. It should never be left on an electric burner for longer than 15 minutes because it will begin to develop a burned taste. If the coffee is not to be served immediately after brewing, it should be poured into a warmed, insulated thermos and used within the next 45 minutes.

Never reheat your coffee.

kitchenelf said:
GB - is yours a thermos versus a heated burner?
It is a thermos. This completely eliminates overcooking the coffee. It is brewed and drips right into the thermos and stays piping hot for 4 hours (no joke). The way the thermos is set up it traps all the aroma and oils and everything as it brews. They have a catchy name for it, but I don't remember what it is (aroma trapper or something silly like that). Basically none of the good stuff escapes into the air (or very little of it at least) so it all goes into the pot and then into your cup. I will never buy another coffee pot that is not set up similar to this one.

Back
Top Bottom