Coffee Pots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hungry

Senior Cook
I think it borders on fraud the way the coffee pot mfgs. state their product is a 12 cup pot.
I have always thought a cup was 8 oz.
I venture to say I bet NONE of the popular brands will make 12 cups of coffee.
How many cups (8 oz) does your _______Brand)________ pot make?

Charlie

Agreed. My Cuisinart Grind and Brew would not even let me make 12 cups, everything would overflow if I ever filled it past 8 cups! I encountered the same problem even after Cuisinart sent me a new one - of course, I had to send my old one to them which cost me a trip to the post office and additional $14 - After another year of problems, I dumped it and bought a cheap coffee maker at Target:mad:

The coffee pot makers never claimed their pots made 12 measuring cups of coffee. The 'cup' they're talking about is the one that comes with a place setting of china. They figure that's about 5.5 fluid ounces.

So, no 12-cup coffee pot will make 12 measuring cups of coffee.

We drink out of mugs and figure you get 5-6 mugs of coffee out of a 12-cup pot.

I would fill my Cuisinart by the 12-cup filling line on their coffee pot - I don't know what the ounces, I just assumed that if I used their measurement it would work, I assumed wrong. Oh well, I usually just make coffee for me, and that is 5 cups on the pot's marking.

The instructions on my Krups coffee/espresso combo specifically state "12 cups or 6 mugs."

Thanks all for the responses. I see I'm not alone in my concern.

I like the Krups information as to cups or mugs from Caine.

Andy, your comment is the logical explanation. But, my concern is that they, for the most part, never say coffee serving cups. They say CUPS which is the basis for my complaint.
I still say a cup is 8 oz.
Which leads me to want a coffee pot that will produce 96 oz of coffee.
Maybe I wouldn't have to make two pots.

Charlie

Hungry said:
Which leads me to want a coffee pot that will produce 96 oz of coffee. Maybe I wouldn't have to make two pots.

Charlie

Sure you would. I have one coffeemaker that makes 8 cups, one that makes 10 cups, and one that makes 12 cups, and no matter which one I use, I always end up making another pot.

DH doesn't mind reheating coffee when he is ready for a cup. I only drink from a fresh pot, which sometimes limits how much I drink. He will make at least 2 pots a day and I usually drink one cup from each pot. Not a big mug, but the size between a teacup and a mug.

Back
Top Bottom