"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2017, 05:08 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliAnne View Post
Our main oven is very inefficient and the broiler in it doesn't work at all, so I'm really glad of an efficient oven plus a broiler that works. The only thing is, it doesn't hold as big a tray for the things to broil on as would the broiler in the oven. Besides, it's always handy to have a separate broiler and oven, so that food can be broiled and oven cooked at the same time.
Convection ovens are great. You get conventional results, even cooking, and they cook faster than conventional ovens.

CD

Old 06-14-2017, 08:15 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I think we're talking about two different animals here. I think what you're referring to are microwaves with a browning feature. They look like standard, everyday, countertop microwave oven.

We had a full sized Thermador conventional wall oven with 3 standard metal racks and exposed heating elements from the late 70's. And it also microwaved. You had to select which mode you wanted to use, conventional or microwave.
Actually, I have not seen these types of oven anywhere except for the one that came built-in when we bought our house. That kind of tells me perhaps they had trouble with this design...?
This is what I have. Ours is 10 years old.

http://products.geappliances.com/app...ecs/SCA1000HBB

Old 07-01-2017, 05:33 AM   #13
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I think we're talking about two different animals here. I think what you're referring to are microwaves with a browning feature. They look like standard, everyday, countertop microwave oven.
I am not referring to a microwave with a browning feature. I remember those, designed to give food that browned look because people couldn't believe that their food was cooked properly unless it was brown.

Gillian
GilliAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:27 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliAnne View Post
I am not referring to a microwave with a browning feature. I remember those, designed to give food that browned look because people couldn't believe that their food was cooked properly unless it was brown.

Gillian
Or it could have been to make them think it had the same flavor as something cooked conventionally.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:49 AM   #15
Cook

Caseydog, I agree, convection ovens are definitely better. Generally I use the convention oven for things that only need a low heat and the convection oven for those requiring a high temperature.

GotGarlic, I love where it says on your oven, 'Clear Off' lol.

CraigC, I am just wondering, how many people use their microwave oven to cook from scratch? I only use mine very occasionally to do so and I don't think I've ever used it for baking.

Gillian

GilliAnne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven