Combo microwave versus halogen oven for dry snacks, veggies, and fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hermes14

Assistant Cook
Hey,

I'm currently choosing between getting a halogen oven or a combination microwave (that is with a convection grill I believe is the right term), but I'm not sure which would be most suitable for my needs.

I want one mainly for roasting (if my understanding is correct that a combo microwave can roast!) beans into dry roasted snacks, and then roasting general vegetables and fish (the browner and crispier the better - this is very important for me!).

I have found that a halogen oven is around £40 (I'm not sure of the dollar equivalent) and a good combination microwave I found is £170. For me, space is also an issue and if the more expensive choice of a combo microwave can do a job as good as the halogen oven and perform it's usual microwaving duties then despite the higher price I might be happier with the combo microwave.

However, if the combo oven does not roast and brown food as good as a halogen oven (I've used a halogen oven and it is amazing), then even though I might need to pack up the halogen oven every time I use it, this might be the better choice.

Thus, I would greatly appreciate your suggestions about what the best choice is.

Many thanks

P.S. the microwave I am considering is Sharp R959SLMA Sharp R959SLMA 40 litre 900 watt Digital Combination Microwave Oven with Quartz Grill, Silver: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom