"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-15-2007, 10:26 AM   #11
Master Chef

Viking also makes 36" stove, and actually, it is the one I've been dreaming about because it has bigger than standard size burners. It would stick out further than normal stove beyond the cabinets, but the advantage in my opinion is enormous. As is I can only use two burners at the same time. My pans and pot are pretty big (12") so I would love bigger stove. Actually if I can get bigger stove I can live with 4 burner one, if only I can use all of them at the same time.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:45 AM   #12
Executive Chef

No reason at all that gas gas won't give you what you are looking for in a stove. The Wolf all gas is still a fine convection oven. What gas ovens do is produce a moister heat due to water vapour. Only an issue in some baking.

Wolf over Viking: not all but many owners have had problems with Viking having defective parts and very slow service. Not only can you read about it, but you can probably find someone local to tell you their problems...Surprizingly I have had six such stories told to me. Wolf does have the 70 year history of commercial ranges behind them, even though domestic Wolf is now part of SubZero. I don't think you'd find the Wolf burners insufficient in size ... WHat Viking really offers is a cut down size (counter depth 24") . THe Wolf sticks out to 29". Also, Wolf is made Wisconsin...your neighbor.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:09 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I cannot comment on the Wolf as I have never owned one...However I have owned a Viking for several years..It is a 36" 6 burner...it does stick out beyond the normal 24" kitchen cabinets which has proven not to be a problem..You get used to the "look"....We are very pleased with it's perfomance. The only parts that I have to replace are the two electronic ignitors in the oven. Authorized service centers are few in my location...which is strange as they make the things (or did) about 100 miles north of me...The first time I had the ignitors replaced I had a Sears guy do it...I watched...next time I did it myself and saved the service call and labor.
Other than that...I have had no problems with my Viking.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:11 PM   #14
Master Chef

Say, Bob, is your stove dual fuel or gas only?
Old 01-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Gas........
Old 01-16-2007, 11:42 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I might add...

The Viking and I suppose other gas brands will operate in an power outage situation as I experienced(briefly) this morning. Just have to light a match to the burner...my oven is a different story..the electronic ignitors have to reach a temp that will allow the gas valve to open for the oven to light...Obviously a generator will over come that problem in a long term outage...Like 10 days during Katrina...
Old 01-16-2007, 11:44 AM   #17
Executive Chef

I looked at a few last night (gasp) $$$$. Thermador has a better price but it looks like a bear to clean in between the flower pattern on the burners (as my better half pointed out).
Old 01-16-2007, 11:57 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I keep thinking of things to add....

I would advise also that one take a look at your vent/hood system...You get all 6 burners going... which is not hard to do.. and you get a lot of heat...I have a Viking hood as well that will automatically come on when it senses high heat etc. Also I installed a larger dia. flue pipe to accomadate the hood.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:09 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorBob
Is there research out there where ovens have been tested for tempurature consistency? I checked consumer reports but they only rated the Thermador. Some threads in other forums report temp. swings of 80 degrees in gas ovens. I wonder how this compares to electric? Also, is there a site that rates the db of hood fans?
I believe the wide temperature swings for gas ovens is an older issue and has been addressed in recent years. I have a GE gas range that's about 7 years old and have measured the temperature swings and they are MUCH less than 80 degrees. I believe there was an over/under of less than 15 F.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:36 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Uncle Bob's story of the igniters is typical of the reports on Viking. THat really bothers some people. Others take it in stride.

Yes you will need proper hood to outside ventilation, whatever brand you buy.

THe THermador star pattern in based on an old commercial model that is very effective. But it is a bear to clean on a sealed burner surface.

WHatever range you end up getting, choose it because it services your needs the way you cook. You'll be happy with your choice.