"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-14-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
Cook

Convection Oven vs. a Greaseless Fryer?

I am looking for a greaseless fryer. After days of going to everystore possible, I cannot find one. However, I keep seeing these little portable convection ovens. (Look like a beefed up toaster oven).
Does anyone know would a convection oven work as a greaseless fryer as well?

BTW, yes they are eBay, but the prices are higher after shipping.

What I have been looking for is called the Flavor Wave, or Super Turbo Oven, or the Nu-Wave Oven Pro.

Old 04-14-2006, 03:28 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

How is a greaseless fryer different from a convection oven? For that matter, why do they call it a greaseless fryer?

Old 04-14-2006, 05:40 PM   #3
Cook

I dont know how or why it's different. Thats what I am thinking as well? Are they different. I have no idea.
Hot air fryer, greasless fryer, super turbo oven. These all say on the boxes that you can air fry with them, however on the boxes of those convection oven they do not say anything about frying.

heres a coupe links and a picture refering to what I mean:

https://www.tvgoods.com/carts/nuwave...nuwaveoven.com

http://www.q-n-c.com/

http://www.trak-air.com/

Old 04-14-2006, 06:16 PM   #4
Executive Chef

That looks like a mini convection oven to me.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:38 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwingen
I dont know how or why it's different. Thats what I am thinking as well? Are they different. I have no idea.
Hot air fryer, greasless fryer, super turbo oven. These all say on the boxes that you can air fry with them, however on the boxes of those convection oven they do not say anything about frying.

heres a coupe links and a picture refering to what I mean:

https://www.tvgoods.com/carts/nuwave...nuwaveoven.com

http://www.q-n-c.com/

http://www.trak-air.com/

To the contrary;

I actually own this oven! And it CAN be used to make healthy "fried" foods.

You just coat you chicken pieces with bread crumbs or corn flake crumbs,
lightly spray the meat with olive oil, and the oil helps to crisp up the chicken to make it look like it was fried!

It can cook meat right from its frozen state - provided you prpped the meat before freezing, and it can make guilt-free French fries.

It uses a powerful glowing glass-tube-enclosed heating element and a powerful cyclonic fan to blast and swirl super-heated air like a commercial convection oven, which cooks your food up to almost 50% faster than a regular oven.

It bakes, broils, steams, air frikes, roasts, BBQ's and grills to crisp juicey tender perfection!!! And it requires no preheating like your regbular oven does!

~Corey123.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:05 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
To the contrary;

I actually own this oven! And it CAN be used to make healthy "fried" foods.

You just coat you chicken pieces with bread crumbs or corn flake crumbs,
lightly spray the meat with olive oil, and the oil helps to crisp up the chicken to make it look like it was fried!

It can cook meat right from its frozen state - provided you prpped the meat before freezing, and it can make guilt-free French fries.

It uses a powerful glowing glass-tube-enclosed heating element and a powerful cyclonic fan to blast and swirl super-heated air like a commercial convection oven, which cooks your food up to almost 50% faster than a regular oven.

It bakes, broils, steams, air frikes, roasts, BBQ's and grills to crisp juicey tender perfection!!! And it requires no preheating like your regbular oven does!

~Corey123.
If that's the case, a convection oven probably won't do the trick. At least not as well as the "greaseless fryer".
Old 04-15-2006, 08:12 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Yeah?, well for the greaseless (trak-air) fryer, to buy that thing requires way, way, way, way, way too much money.

I'm NOT EVEN about to spend friggen $3,000.00 or $4,000.00 for an oven!!
Are you crazy? That is just plain ridiculous!!

~Corey123.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:34 PM   #8
Sous Chef

BUT WAIT,
THERE'S MORE!!

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:38 PM   #9
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
greasless fryer? is that like boneless ribs?...yet another oxymoron to add to my warehouse of useless information.:)
Old 07-22-2006, 01:48 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwingen
I am looking for a greaseless fryer. After days of going to everystore possible, I cannot find one. However, I keep seeing these little portable convection ovens. (Look like a beefed up toaster oven).
Does anyone know would a convection oven work as a greaseless fryer as well?

BTW, yes they are eBay, but the prices are higher after shipping.

What I have been looking for is called the Flavor Wave, or Super Turbo Oven, or the Nu-Wave Oven Pro.
Yeah ... well ... S&H does add to the cost! Forget e-bay until you know exactly what you are looking for ... and then shop around before you buy on e-bay.

What you have been looking at are mini convention cookers - not real greaseles fryers - they are a bit pricy.

If you are looking to buy a "true" greaseless fryer you can start here ... and compare prices, features, etc.