Cooking a Turkey in a convection/microwave oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James29

Assistant Cook
Could somebody please help me with Christmas this year :) ... I have no oven except a Russel Hobbs combination microwave convection oven and don't have a clue how to cook a Turkey in it ... does someone on here know how, or have one of these microwaves and have used it to cook meat/poultry?

It's a RHM2565BCG. I think it's 25 litre 900 watt.

Thanks.

Cooking turkey in a microwave is a bad idea. The convection feature would be better, but it will be messy.

Do you have the manual? Maybe look it up online.

Also, because your ability to cook a turkey is so limited, maybe consider buying one pre-cooked and making the sides from scratch.

I use a regular convection oven (my range can be regular gas Or a convection oven) to cook my turkeys for about 10 years now. I use the convection roast setting. I cook my turkey on convection roast 350F unstuffed. It is usually cooks faster then regular gas oven. I have never used a convection microwave. A friend used to have a convection oven that was the size of a microwave and portable before she had a range and she did thanksgiving turkey every year for 20 people. I had aunts that used convection microwaves to cook everything including turkeys and prime rib in it without any problems. I'm sure you will be fine.

As mentioned above Don't use the microwave setting. Use the convection setting and read the owners manual for proper directions.

Last edited:
I also have a combination convection/microwave oven, although I don't use that feature much. I really should work with it more.

Jenny, a combo oven like this has a second heat source for the convection part, so it's not like cooking with a microwave.

I found this video that shows how to make chicken breasts with a combo oven. Maybe you could extrapolate and use this method with yours. I would practice a little with chicken before attempting a turkey.

https://youtu.be/XdkS4_aBuqg

I also have a combination convection/microwave oven, although I don't use that feature much. I really should work with it more.

Jenny, a combo oven like this has a second heat source for the convection part, so it's not like cooking with a microwave.

I found this video that shows how to make chicken breasts with a combo oven. Maybe you could extrapolate and use this method with yours. I would practice a little with chicken before attempting a turkey.

https://youtu.be/XdkS4_aBuqg

GG

I have exactly the same thing. A combo microwave/convection oven.

I stand on my advice not to microwave a turkey to cook it.

Convection is great but my "MESSY" comment was about cooking meat in the same little box you use to microwave your veggies, melt chocolate, heat up leftovers. The grease spatter can be hard to get off...

Ive never used a bag to cook a turkey in but maybe that would help ...

GG

I have exactly the same thing. A combo microwave/convection oven.

I stand on my advice not to microwave a turkey to cook it.

Convection is great but my "MESSY" comment was about cooking meat in the same little box you use to microwave your veggies, melt chocolate, heat up leftovers. The grease spatter can be hard to get off...

Ive never used a bag to cook a turkey in but maybe that would help ...

Okay, gotcha. The OP has no other oven, though, so it might be worth a try. An oven bag to contain the spatter is a good idea.

If you don't need a picture perfect bird for presentation and carving table side you could cut the turkey into pieces and poach it in a large pot with a nicely seasoned liquid. You could do this the day before then carve the cold pieces and warm them just prior to serving in the microwave.

Here is a link to a basic recipe.

Boiled Turkey - Recipe - Cooks.com

Good luck!

Cooking turkey in a microwave is a bad idea. The convection feature would be better, but it will be messy.

Do you have the manual? Maybe look it up online.

Also, because your ability to cook a turkey is so limited, maybe consider buying one pre-cooked and making the sides from scratch.

Have to say that I can't begin to imagine where I'd find a precooked turkey. Maybe they do that some places, but in my 70 years I've never seen one.

Have to say that I can't begin to imagine where I'd find a precooked turkey. Maybe they do that some places, but in my 70 years I've never seen one.

Lots of grocery stores and specialty stores offer pre-cooked turkeys, with or without sides, for holidays. The OP is in London, though, so I don't know if that's available there. Not sure how popular turkeys are in England.

Pretty much every supermarket here will sell you the whole soup to nuts Thanksgiving dinner. Some have turkey or ham for Xmas, too.

Wegmans is supposed to be the best ...

I did a wonderful Thanksgiving turkey dinner with turkey parts in cooking bags. I used my full size oven, but there's no reason it shouldn't work in a smaller convection oven. Actually, I'm now convinced I'll never do a whole turkey again, as I had full control of the cooking temps of the white and dark meat.
I assume they have cooking bags in the UK?

Pretty much every supermarket here will sell you the whole soup to nuts Thanksgiving dinner. Some have turkey or ham for Xmas, too.

Wegmans is supposed to be the best ...

All I have is Walmart - or if I want to drive an hour one way, a Safeway. Neither has ever had cooked whole turkeys. Other stores I've used in the 40 or so years since I've been cooking daily have never made any sort of a point of advertising any such service either (it's at least 2 hours to the nearest Whole Foods, and I don't know if my bank account is big enough for anything they sell). I admit that I've never looked for one, since I prefer to do it myself.

Last edited:
It takes a certain population base to make such a service profitable. Between the cities in Colorado probably doesn't qualify ;)

I've seen them advertised in the grocery store sale papers, including Walmart. There are even some restaurants here that do pick-up holiday dinners.

It takes a certain population base to make such a service profitable. Between the cities in Colorado probably doesn't qualify ;)

I've seen them advertised in the grocery store sale papers, including Walmart. There are even some restaurants here that do pick-up holiday dinners.

Well..... if having to cook my own turkey is the highest price I have to pay to live in Colorado, then I'll pay that all day. :)

Back
Top Bottom