"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
View Poll Results: Would You Use This Product
Yes 0 0%
No 7 77.78%
Need More Information 2 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cooking Appliance Design For School

A partner and I are designing a new product for an Engineering class. The product is designed to stir soups, sauces or stews. The basis behind this is to alllow chefs and home cooks the ability to divert attenion away from liquids that require constant stirring and supervision and focus on working on other tasks at hand. The base would sit on the rim of the pot and drive around the rim of the pot while a paddle would extend into the liquid and provide a stirring motion over the horizontal axis. We would greatly appreciate and feedback that you guys may have on what cooks and chefs would expect a product like this to do.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

They already have a product like that on the market. It is called StirChef.

http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/L949475.jpg

A very good product if you want to be able to multi task. Great for stirring cooked pudding, lemon curd, etc.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Not many dishes require constant stirring.

Maybe when I'm old and feeble...
Old 03-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

The idea is that you could use it with soups of stews. That you can be making another dish while prodiding an agitation to the other dish. Our product would also allowl for lower portions of liquid to be circulated to the top providing an even cooking.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerdaudt View Post
The idea is that you could use it with soups of stews. That you can be making another dish while prodiding an agitation to the other dish. Our product would also allowl for lower portions of liquid to be circulated to the top providing an even cooking.
We understand what stirring does. My point is soups and stews need only occasional stirring as do most dishes. Convection currents within the liquid serve to distribute the heated liquid. If I'm cooking multiple dishes, I'm right there at the stove so stirring a pot or two is not an issue.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

We are attempting to ease the demand on the typical home cook. I am interested in learning if this type of device would be something the typical cook, as well as commercial chefs would ever use.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
We are attempting to ease the demand on the typical home cook. I am interested in learning if this type of device would be something the typical cook, as well as commercial chefs would ever use.
As Addie and I have explained, a.) it's not a big burden and b.) there's already such a tool.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
Wine Guy

I voted "no", as I probably wouldn't use it myself. I'm not really a gadget guy. But in all honesty I could see situations where a commercial chef might use such a device, provided it was sturdy and reliable.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
For commercial chefs in a restaurant it would have to be very big. And that would make it very heavy. It has to be able to reach the bottom of their pots. And the shaft would have to be heavy metal, not to count the weight of the motor. The motor for the home one weighs about 2.5 pounds. And that one can handle a three quart pan providing it has a wide mouth.

Because I have difficulty standing for any length of time, I have had a StirChef since they first came out on the market. It was touted by a lot of folks. Still it has not been a big seller. I find it useful only because of my inability to stand stirring for a long time when I make a lemon curd or anything with chocolate. BB&B used to sell them. They stopped because they were taking up shelf space.

Overstock.com has them. I suggest you and your partner do more research. One con is that you can not put a lid on the pot if you use this product. Thus it is useless for pasta or any tomato sauce. So even if you have the heat on low simmer, little blips of sauce are being spit out all over you stove. In saving your energy using this product you end up with more work cleaning your stove.

You wanted feedback. Now you have some straight from one who uses such a product. Good luck in your endeavor. And I hope the both of you graduate with top honors.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Sorry but I wouldn't use such a device. I can't think of a dish that would need constant stirring that should even be left alone.

Tags
cooking