"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 04-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
I didn't get the Ebert book, I got 300 Best Rice Cooker Recipes: Also Including Legumes and Whole Grains

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #12
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by jascombs View Post
Hi Princess et al., Update on my cooking lentils in a 3-cup Zojirushi. The only info I had was try a 2:1 ratio {1 cup lentils/2 cups water} and try Porridge setting. {Info from Zojirushi indicated 'Porridge' cooked at a lower temperature} So, this morning I purchased 4-bags of lentils and analyzed the info on the bag. Bag claims 1/4 cup = 35 grams. I measured out 1 cup and weighed it - 180-odd grams. Funny how using the gram count on the label seldom agrees with the 'per cup' calories. I reduced the cup to 140 grams {this would be 1 'light cup.' I dumped the lentils in Zoji pot and added 2 full 8-oz cups of water - and pushed the start button. 60-minutes later, the 'done' tune played - and Voila! I had what appeared to be a bowl of nicely cooked lentils. And, that's exactly what it was. Just right. There was maybe 1-2 tablespoons of liguid at the bottom of my bowl. I think I'll leave the ratio of lentils-to-water as is. In fact, no need to change a thing. It reminded me of cooking 1 Zoji cup of steel cuts oats. I'm pasting two Amazon URLs for two books on 'what all you can cook in a rice cooker.' I just might buy'em. Oh! the 140 grams {light cup} = 480 calories, 44 grams of fiber, 40 grams of protein. 'Nuff for one meal' ~ james The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook - Rev: 250 No-Fail Recipes for Pilafs, Risottos, Polenta, Chilis, Soups, Porridges, Puddings, and More, fro: Beth Hensperger, Julie Kaufman: 9781558326675: Amazon.com: Books - The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook - Amazon - $11.11 Amazon.com: The Pot and How to Use It: The Mystery and Romance of the Rice Cooker (9780740791420): Roger Ebert: Books - The Pot and How to Use it $10.29
Thanks so much for the book recommendations! I recently received an "Aroma Professional" rice cooker as a gift, & have been warily trying it out & enjoying it. Mine not only does rice, but can be used as a slow cooker, & also has a steamer tray insert for, well, steaming. While I'm not normally into gadgets, I'm having fun with this one, & am interested in experimenting with it.

Bacardi1 is offline   Reply With Quote

cooking, lentils