Cooking on Glasstop stoves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a GE glasstop stove and didn't like it. It was a bear to simmer anything. In fact, the burner would dim when I wanted the temp to be a constant "High". Very annoying. It was only 8 yr. old when we replaced it with a Wolf gas top and electric oven (dual fuel). Love the Wolf and am amazed at the simmer feature on each burner. A gas cooktop allows you to control the temp, not the other way around.

Cast iron is a no no. It can scratch cooktop.
Other than that, any smooth botto pan is just fine.
I pull dishes out of the oven all of the time and put them on the top. No harm done.

I'm glad to see this thread come up, we will be updating our stove before too long and were wondering about glass tops. The biggest things we thought about were breaking the glass and even cooking. We don't have gas here either, or we would definitely be using that :)

I love my glass top stove. You do need a pan that sits flat on the burner, but that's no big deal. It sure is a lot easier to clean than the others, and you would have to really work hard to break it. I highly recommend it.

Use whatever pans you want, just don't slide or drop them on the top.

I've had mine for a year or two. I don't care for the smooth top but I'm not sure there are any reasonable alternatives.

Cast iron is a no no. It can scratch cooktop.
Other than that, any smooth botto pan is just fine.
I pull dishes out of the oven all of the time and put them on the top. No harm done.

Actually, cast iron is fine to use. There's nothing inherent about it that will scratch -- you just need to be careful with it.

I have used CI on my glass cooktop constantly for 11 years without ever scratching it.

You can use pretty much anything on a glass or ceramic stove as long as you are careful.

Actually, cast iron is fine to use. There's nothing inherent about it that will scratch -- you just need to be careful with it.

I have used CI on my glass cooktop constantly for 11 years without ever scratching it.

You can use pretty much anything on a glass or ceramic stove as long as you are careful.

I just wanted to qualify your post with the thought that we *are* only talking about adults.

I have a glass top (for the last 5 or 6 years), and I love it. But one night, someone (not mentioning names), left a teapot on one of the burners that didn't whistle, and actually melted to the surface. Talk about being PO'd, I was that. It wasn't one of the kids, and since I've been known to leave stuff there myself and doze off, I can't really complain. But it does bug me to this day. Pweh... got that off my chest, and she won't even read it :)

But it is a great tool that is easy to clean. I "want" gas, but if all was evaluated, I'd probably be happier with the glass top.

Bob

...But one night, someone (not mentioning names), left a teapot on one of the burners that didn't whistle, and actually melted to the surface...

That didn't happen because the stove was a glasstop. It could have happened with a conventional electric or gas stove.

That didn't happen because the stove was a glasstop. It could have happened with a conventional electric or gas stove.

Andy - You are 100% right. The difference which I neglected to mention, is that there is a bare spot on the glass top where the metal had melted to it. I tend to not use that burner unless I need all four.

But it is still an eye sore. I love my wife even more than I could ever express, but this is something that causes me to cringe when ever I look at the stove top every day. It might even be a good thing if I were to replace the stove to just not have that cringe.

And thanks for taking me there to consider that...

Bob

But it is still an eye sore. I love my wife even more than I could ever express, but this is something that causes me to cringe when ever I look at the stove top every day. It might even be a good thing if I were to replace the stove to just not have that cringe.

Bob

I'm not sure what brand yours is.. but I actually got mine brand new never used at 30% off in a Sears outlet room. It's an odd size and thankfully someone ordered one and never picked it up. Worked out for me.
Just a thought. :)

Andy - You are 100% right. The difference which I neglected to mention, is that there is a bare spot on the glass top where the metal had melted to it. I tend to not use that burner unless I need all four.

Bob

Bob, can you replace just the glass top??

Thanks for the thought Andy. It's a Whirlpool, and the cost to replace the surface, is in the zone of "might as well replace the whole thing".

And like I said, it's an eye sore to me, but likely not to anyone else.

Bob

The only professional cook I have ever seen use a glass top stove was Graham Kerr on his Gathering Place TV series on PBS a few years ago.

I'd go with the best quality gas stove I could afford, with an electric convection oven.

I agree. When I redo my kitchen I'm going with gas. It's eaiser to control and I just think the food taste better! That's pretty much all the chefs and cooks use. I have a glass top and have used cast iron on it for years with no problems, but I do want a gas stove!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom