"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-29-2008, 10:58 PM   #21
Senior Cook

I had a GE glasstop stove and didn't like it. It was a bear to simmer anything. In fact, the burner would dim when I wanted the temp to be a constant "High". Very annoying. It was only 8 yr. old when we replaced it with a Wolf gas top and electric oven (dual fuel). Love the Wolf and am amazed at the simmer feature on each burner. A gas cooktop allows you to control the temp, not the other way around.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:39 AM   #22
Assistant Cook

Cast iron is a no no. It can scratch cooktop.
Other than that, any smooth botto pan is just fine.
I pull dishes out of the oven all of the time and put them on the top. No harm done.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #23
Senior Cook

I'm glad to see this thread come up, we will be updating our stove before too long and were wondering about glass tops. The biggest things we thought about were breaking the glass and even cooking. We don't have gas here either, or we would definitely be using that :)
Old 07-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #24
Master Chef

I love my glass top stove. You do need a pan that sits flat on the burner, but that's no big deal. It sure is a lot easier to clean than the others, and you would have to really work hard to break it. I highly recommend it.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Use whatever pans you want, just don't slide or drop them on the top.

I've had mine for a year or two. I don't care for the smooth top but I'm not sure there are any reasonable alternatives.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:12 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs004417 View Post
Cast iron is a no no. It can scratch cooktop.
Other than that, any smooth botto pan is just fine.
I pull dishes out of the oven all of the time and put them on the top. No harm done.
Actually, cast iron is fine to use. There's nothing inherent about it that will scratch -- you just need to be careful with it.

I have used CI on my glass cooktop constantly for 11 years without ever scratching it.

You can use pretty much anything on a glass or ceramic stove as long as you are careful.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:42 PM   #27
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Actually, cast iron is fine to use. There's nothing inherent about it that will scratch -- you just need to be careful with it.

I have used CI on my glass cooktop constantly for 11 years without ever scratching it.

You can use pretty much anything on a glass or ceramic stove as long as you are careful.

I just wanted to qualify your post with the thought that we *are* only talking about adults.

I have a glass top (for the last 5 or 6 years), and I love it. But one night, someone (not mentioning names), left a teapot on one of the burners that didn't whistle, and actually melted to the surface. Talk about being PO'd, I was that. It wasn't one of the kids, and since I've been known to leave stuff there myself and doze off, I can't really complain. But it does bug me to this day. Pweh... got that off my chest, and she won't even read it :-)

But it is a great tool that is easy to clean. I "want" gas, but if all was evaluated, I'd probably be happier with the glass top.

Bob
Old 07-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperImproved View Post
...But one night, someone (not mentioning names), left a teapot on one of the burners that didn't whistle, and actually melted to the surface...

That didn't happen because the stove was a glasstop. It could have happened with a conventional electric or gas stove.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That didn't happen because the stove was a glasstop. It could have happened with a conventional electric or gas stove.
Andy - You are 100% right. The difference which I neglected to mention, is that there is a bare spot on the glass top where the metal had melted to it. I tend to not use that burner unless I need all four.

But it is still an eye sore. I love my wife even more than I could ever express, but this is something that causes me to cringe when ever I look at the stove top every day. It might even be a good thing if I were to replace the stove to just not have that cringe.

And thanks for taking me there to consider that...

Bob
Old 07-14-2009, 05:40 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperImproved View Post
But it is still an eye sore. I love my wife even more than I could ever express, but this is something that causes me to cringe when ever I look at the stove top every day. It might even be a good thing if I were to replace the stove to just not have that cringe.

And thanks for taking me there to consider that...

Bob
I'm not sure what brand yours is.. but I actually got mine brand new never used at 30% off in a Sears outlet room. It's an odd size and thankfully someone ordered one and never picked it up. Worked out for me.
Just a thought.