"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 11-10-2006, 01:35 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cooking on Glasstop stoves

So many questions... I have viewed many sites about cooking with glasstop stoves but have not come up with any definitive answers. Can anybody help me with dispelling the myths... I am in the middle of a complete kitchen renovation and want to make sure I make the right purchase.
  • Use of a cast iron skillet on a glasstop? Yes or No
  • Need to purchase any special cookware?
  • Can you set pans or casserole dishes out of the oven on the stovetop?
I would really appreciate anyones feedback..

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
The only professional cook I have ever seen use a glass top stove was Graham Kerr on his Gathering Place TV series on PBS a few years ago.

I'd go with the best quality gas stove I could afford, with an electric convection oven.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:11 PM   #3
Master Chef

Cast Iron Skillets -- yes. The reason stove manufacturers say not to use them is because they are heavy and can scratch or break the cooktop. Since the cooktop is usually under warranty, the manufacturer has to pay.

I've used cast iron skillets and Le Creuset dutch ovens on mine almost daily for 10 years without a problem. I have made only one small scratch in that time.

No special cookware is needed. Your cookware should have flat bottoms, but I have a cast iron skillet with a ridge that works fine, too.

Yes you can generally set anything on it. Assuming that your stove is under your cooktop, the cooktop will be warm enough from the heat of the oven to put hot dishes on safely. If the oven is not under it and your kitchen is really cold, I probably wouldn't.

I have no gas line into my house, otherwise I would have done exactly what Caine said.

Edited to add also that, like Gretchen, I do like this stove. It's a lot better than most electric ones I've had.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

The flat flat bottom of the pans is important--mainly for efficiency of using the flat cooktop.
Jenny has covered it well. Cast iron is OK--it often sits on a little ridge, but it will cook fine.
We have one at the beach and I absolutely love it. We did buy new cookware because the other "stuff" (was awful--I had nothing to do with it!!) was the kind that has concentric rings in the bottom.
Yes, you can set things out on it.
The model we have at the beach is certainly not top of the line. It has one really nice feature--two ovens, but the top one is about 10 inches tall with one rack. Super for baking, quick toast/broil.
The bottom oven is full size and you do lose any storage drawer.
I find the elements vERy responsive albeit electric with carryover, of course.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:36 PM   #5
Executive Chef

yup yup yup exactly as they say above. ...cook on my sis's all the time. she loves it, it works well, had no problems.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:30 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I hated mine as there was no effective way to simmer. Maybe that's changed on the newer models. It came with the house we used to live in and even though brand new, I switched to a gas model as soon as we could afford it. The burners I had would heat up, than back off, then heat up, then back off...drove me bonkers!
Old 11-10-2006, 05:46 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Jennyema tells it all.....one thing though, if you have a good thick type of pad, put it on the cold stove top and you've got a place to do some ironing....LOL
Old 11-10-2006, 06:53 PM   #8
Master Chef

Ditto on what the rest said...I love mine too. One thing you all haven't mentioned is how easy it is to keep clean. Sure beats taking everything apart to clean out the burners.
If you have sticky goo, I've found that leaving a wet dishcloth on a cool stove will soak it off.
Mine has red lights that show up if a burner is still hot, so you (hopefully) won't burn yourself. There are burners of different sizes, and one back burner that can switch from great big to small with the flip of a switch.
It has a great range of temperatures, and simmers very nicely. It even has a lo temp that just keeps food warm.

By the way, I also wanted a gas range, but we built our house way back from the road, and it would have cost about 2 grand to put in the line. We also got a deduction on our electric rate for having an all electric house.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:36 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyG
I hated mine as there was no effective way to simmer. Maybe that's changed on the newer models. It came with the house we used to live in and even though brand new, I switched to a gas model as soon as we could afford it. The burners I had would heat up, than back off, then heat up, then back off...drove me bonkers!
Mine (Frigidaire) is the first range I've ever cooked on that WILL simmer properly. I can simmer a Swiss steak in a French dressing based sauce for 2 hours without ever having to worry about anything burning (our old range was horrible with this recipe). And that isn't even at the lowest setting!!!

I think it works better if you have good heavyweight pans that will hold the heat and distribute it evenly, but then that is true of most any range. With my range and my Emerilware (by All Clad) cookware, the heat is transferred to the food steadily without spikes, but the elements work like you describe, with an interrupted flow of power to them to maintain a proper AVERAGE level of heat to the pan.

I absolutely love my glasstop!!!
Old 11-10-2006, 08:33 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

It had ONE downside to it. If you're making jam or other high-sugar products, and you have a spill, clean it up quickly, or it will burn on almost permanently.

Mine came with a little accessory for cleaning up burnt-on spills. A razor blade in a little gadget to hold it! Goes to show that glass stove-tops don't scratch as easily as you think!

Best of all, they are incredibly easy to clean. I envy you.[/quote]

I have found even if it sort of burns on, it is pretty easy to clean with something like SoftScrub and a plastic brillo pad. And then the razor. It isn't really hard, but don't let it hang around, as was said.
Ours simmers quite well, I think.