Cooking Stones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a bunch of marble slabs...could those be used instead of granite?

The problem with marble is that it will react with acidic foods. So, if you are doing a pizza with a tomato sauce, and a bit of sauce gets on the slab it will etch it just a bit. Eventually the surface will get a little rougher and things can stick.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to use marble if I had it. Just be sure that the stones don't have any kind of sealer on them.

My sister has had pizza stones break too. She leaves the stone in the oven all of the time. Her son cooks things at very high heat. She doesn't buy Pampered Chef, but has tried different brands, and they have all broken on her after a couple of years. Odd really. I'm not sure why sometimes they break. Like I said my pizza stone and the other shaped stones I have have not broken after many years of constant use.:ermm:

They break because of the nature of ceramic when heat is applied. I'd have to ask the materials expert for the specifics, but it has to do with the expansion and shrinking of the materials when heat is applied and the nature of the composition.

I have a round pizza stone (although I use if for everything) that lives in my oven. I have no idea what brand it may have been, as it was a gift, but it's been in the oven for years and is still going strong. 2 electric ranges, and now a gas range, and it's still in good shape. I take it out when I run the cleaning cycle, but otherwise it never leaves. Even when I use both racks, I just put the pan or sheet on the preheated stone. Doesn't seem to negatively affect the way things cook.

Doesn't seem to negatively affect the way things cook.

I remember someone (Alton Brown?) say that having a stone in your oven is actually a good thing since it retains heat and helps keep an even temperature in your oven.

Back
Top Bottom