Cooking Stones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lillyanne

Assistant Cook
I'm interested in cooking stones for a wide range of cooking,from steaks to bread.
Has anyone got any advice on what kind of stone to use,cleanning,where to find them,prices ect.
Can i use in the house oven?

Many thanks!!!

The idea of a baking stone is to provide even heat to the bottom of the food, mostly breads. It also somewhat compensates for oven temperature drop when opening the door and may absorb moisture. You can pay a little or a lot. You will be buying a ceramic. When they say "natural" baking stone, they don't mean cut stone. They mean natural ingredients of the ceramic. Size the stone so that it doesn't prevent natural heat flow in the oven. It can't, for instance, extend to the sides of the oven. You can use natural stone tiles from the hardware store. They may not last as long, but they're so cheap you don't worry about them, and you can cheaply keep different sizes to use in combination. For most baking, let the stone soak in the hot oven for a time to get it evenly hot.

Good brand ceramic stones about 14 inches square are about $40 from Amazon. Ceramic tiles, 12x12, $2 Home Depot.

I haven't used it, but FibraMent is an engineered stone that's also used to line large "stone" ovens.
Pizza
Discussion of stones in general at top of page. FibraMent about halfway down.

Some restaurants serve meats on a thick slab of granite heated to a high temp and they are delivered to the customer sizzling. The meat cooks on the slab from the residual heat in the stone.

Some restaurants serve meats on a thick slab of granite heated to a high temp and they are delivered to the customer sizzling. The meat cooks on the slab from the residual heat in the stone.

Interesting... is it effective or is it a gimmick?

Interesting... is it effective or is it a gimmick?

I had it once in a restaurant in Aruba. The meat sizzling on the hot stone is brought to the table (in our case on a little platform) so the sizzling grease splattered onto your face and hands when you tried to cut off a slice of steak. Not to mention if you are a slow eater, the meat is well done like it or not.

I like the stones that Pampered Chef has. They have several sizes. I don't remember the prices because I've had mine for quite a while.

Call around to stone countertop companies. They have all sorts of sink cutouts that they normally end up throwing out. They are typically 3/4-inch thick, and quite durable.

I got the slab of granite that I keep in my oven for $25, if I remember correctly, about ten years ago. I had them trim it to 2-inches smaller than the inside dimensions of my oven.

I bake breads and pizza directly on it. I keep forgetting to buy another so I can have a very close approximation of a pizza oven.

i've had the same thing as andy with the heated stones and extremely thin meats (so they cook almost instantly), and also on heated slabs of himalayan salt.

very cool stuff. similar to japanese shabu shabu.

The Diamond Knot Alehouse (in Mukilteo, WA) serves several entrees & sandwiches that are "stonegrilled". Not only was the food and beer great, but it was a fun experience. We never had any issues with being splattered by grease. Nor was the food overcooked; the stone fit snugly into the middle of a platter and when things were done to your liking you simply moved them off to the side.

I have gone through several pizza stones, I just don't have good luck with them for some reason. But I always end up purchasing another and using it until I pull a stupid human trick and break it. ;) I know that I've heard of people buying non-glazed tiles from hardware stores and using them, but I've not tried it. I do like that idea of finding a granite cut-out though ... might have to pursue that one.

I'm interested in cooking stones for a wide range of cooking,from steaks to bread.
Has anyone got any advice on what kind of stone to use,cleanning,where to find them,prices ect.
Can i use in the house oven?

Many thanks!!!

I would look into a Himalayan Salt Block. The food is cooked & served on the block. Check on line for prices and sources. You can heat it on the grill, in the oven, or place it in the freezer.

Here are some links re same:

The Uses of Himalayan Salt Block | eHow.com

Cooking on Pink Himalayan Salt Blocks: the Class at the Meadow

i've had the same thing as andy with the heated stones and extremely thin meats (so they cook almost instantly), and also on heated slabs of himalayan salt.

very cool stuff. similar to japanese shabu shabu.

I love the slabs of himalayan rock salt. The pink colour is cool too! I had a salad bowl made of pink himalayan salt, when it broke a few years ago I smashed it into tiny chunks and used it for cooking. At least it didn't go to waste.

I like the stones that Pampered Chef has. They have several sizes. I don't remember the prices because I've had mine for quite a while.
You have to be careful with how those are heated up--they can break if you don't follow the instructions. The Spring 2013 catelogue has muffin/ramekins and a microwave egg cooker (poached, fried, scrambled) in that stoneware.

You have to be careful with how those are heated up--they can break if you don't follow the instructions. The Spring 2013 catelogue has muffin/ramekins and a microwave egg cooker (poached, fried, scrambled) in that stoneware.

I've used them for years and never had any break. I just love em! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom