Counter top cookers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
Given my oven quiting question I have been debating on whether to get a counter top convection oven or a slow cooker or both. Not a crock pot but a slow cooker. Got a crock pot. I dont care if it wont so much bake stuff as long as it will keep it warm. Although a chafing dish or several might work.
We do tend to cook stuff in 9x13 or 10x15 pyrexs though although we do have a bunch of 2 qt pyrexs that should fit most counter top ovens.

Any thoughts? A real kitchen is probably 3-5 yrs away for us.

Well, since you are contemplating buying both appliances, you might want to consider the Rival BBQ Pit Crockpot Countertop Slow Cooker.

And the Thane Flavor Wave Countertop Convection Oven. I own both and they work very phenominally!! Target.com sells them both. Read my reviews there on them. I'm Daquan13 there.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Ron W. said:
Crock-Pots and slow cookers are the same thing. The difference bing only Rival calls thiers a Crock-Pot.

The reason everyone else calls theirs slow cookers is that Rival has the exclusive use of the word Crock-Pot since they invented them in the early '70s.

My brother was given the Rival BBQ Pit a couple of years ago. He said they've only used it, maybe, once and that it was cumbersome to store. And to qualify this answer, let me say that a lot of cookin' goes on in his house. He said it is really no more than a crock-pot on steroids and just about everything that can be done in the BBQ device can be done in an extra-large crock-pot.

We have a nice toaster oven that can take very large casseroles. If you're interested, here's a link to it: ttp://www.gehousewares.com/action/browseproduct?content_id=26. We really like it because it's easy to maintain and clean and cooks almost like a regular stand-alone oven.

We also have a countertop roaster oven, much like a Nesco roaster, which we also like.

Good luck in your quest.

Katie E said:
The reason everyone else calls theirs slow cookers is that Rival has the exclusive use of the word Crock-Pot since they invented them in the early '70s.

My brother was given the Rival BBQ Pit a couple of years ago. He said they've only used it, maybe, once and that it was cumbersome to store. And to qualify this answer, let me say that a lot of cookin' goes on in his house. He said it is really no more than a crock-pot on steroids and just about everything that can be done in the BBQ device can be done in an extra-large crock-pot.

We have a nice toaster oven that can take very large casseroles. If you're interested, here's a link to it: ttp://www.gehousewares.com/action/browseproduct?content_id=26. We really like it because it's easy to maintain and clean and cooks almost like a regular stand-alone oven.

We also have a countertop roaster oven, much like a Nesco roaster, which we also like.

Good luck in your quest.

Yes, Rival DID use that name first, and they have exclusive rights to the word Crockpot - and they can file class action lawsuits against any other co. that uses the name.

And yes, they WERE the very first co. that invented the Crock Pot slow cooker, so-called simply because the stoneware vessel that's in it somewhat resembles a crock, something that's normally used to store cooking utensils when not in use.

In the eary '70s, as well as the mid to late '70s and even in the early '80s, these units practically flew off the store shelves, as everyone and their brother were rushing to the stores to buy one!!

The appliance DID at one time, spark up some controversy because consumers had wondered whether the thing was able to reach and maintain the ideal temp
for cooking the food and preventing the start and growth of bacteria at 160 degrees or so. But it was tested and proven to be completely safe for slow cooking.

The "Cock Pot on steroids", as you call it, haha!!, is for those who don't have the luxury, joy or backyard of using a regular BBQ grill or pit. And yes, in small amounts, regular crock pots can be used for what can be cooked in the BBQ Pit.

You're also right about storing the appliance! It's too large to keep in the kitchen when not in use, so I have to keep it in the back room until the next time that I want to use it.

Last edited:
tough,dry chicken

Can anyone tell me why my chicken comes out dry in a crockpot?? What am I doing wrong?

Do you have some water in the bottom of the unit's crock?

Though these units offer the full benefits of slow tender cooking, some water is need to help keep the food moist and tender.

Is the cooker set too high? Too low?

3babies said:
Can anyone tell me why my chicken comes out dry in a crockpot?? What am I doing wrong?

It's either overcooked or not cooked long enough.

Chicken cooks fairly fast in a slow cooker and when it reaches the cooking point where it's just right it will be tender and moist but added cooking time will cook the juices out of it and once this happens you need to let the chicken stew in these juices until it is falling apart.

Did the chicken still have the skin or was it skinless.

If it was me I would get a Counter Top Convection Oven. I have always wanted one of those but my kitchen is small and there is no room for one on my counter.

This has already been said but Crock-Pots and Slow Cookers are the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom