"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-07-2007, 11:49 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I've been wanting some chili too. Maybe next week...

I'm making the beef stew now.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:53 AM   #12
Sous Chef

I have a large oval crockpot, but I don't actually cook with it. I use it as a chafing dish for soups/stews and warm beverages like Mulled Cider.

I much prefer using one of 8qt pots for making stews/soups/braises.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:26 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Vangie, I never liked slow cookers. Something happens to the texture of beef that I don't like. I use only organic produce and organic meats and chickens. I just use a very large pot with a tight lid on my simmer burner. Have left food simmering as long as 14 hours and there has never been a problem. The only drawback to stove top is checking the pot several times.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:47 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangie
Because crock pots are relatively small in size to cook for a large crowd;would a roaster be a good replacement?
It really totally depends on what you are fixing. If the "roaster" you are referring to is the countertop roasting oven, that is a whole 'nother way of cooking--and may or may not be "slow cooking". There is really nothing that you do in a crockpot that can't be done in your oven, as others have alluded to, by cooking in a closed dutch oven, for example.

If you could tell us more exactly what your need is, maybe it could be answered better.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #15
Master Chef

A slow cooker braises food, Like Andy said, with moist heat.

A roaster roasts food with dry heat.

They are very different methods of cooking.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:54 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I have had wonderful results with just placing all my ingredients in a very heavy soup pot with tight fitting lid, bringing to a gentle boil and then simmer on my simmer burner. This method works for me instead of going out to buy a crockpot for just a few recipes.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
A slow cooker braises food, Like Andy said, with moist heat.

A roaster roasts food with dry heat.

They are very different methods of cooking.

A roaster can also braise as well if you use the cover that it came with. I used to use the small one for braising short ribs.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:25 PM   #18
Master Chef

I can't say this is true for everyone. But I use the slow cooker for its purpose, though I have used a slow oven and a covered roaster and/or cast iron dutch oven. The problem I have using the oven is that the ceramic hot-surface igniter remains on for the entire cooking time, which shortens the life ot the igniter. And then I have to do maintenance on the stove. Also, there is less heat loss from the slow cooker, which I believe should result in lower energy bills.

But other than those issues, cooking results are great with either heat source.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #19
Cook

My 6 qt. crockpot died. I have a large roaster oven that I love, but it's too big for taking to church potlucks. I'm thinking of replacing the crockpot with a 6qt roaster..is there any reason why I shouldn't?
Old 03-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by abecedarian View Post
My 6 qt. crockpot died. I have a large roaster oven that I love, but it's too big for taking to church potlucks. I'm thinking of replacing the crockpot with a 6qt roaster..is there any reason why I shouldn't?

A 6-quart roaster is very similar to a 6-quart slow cooker except for the temperature control. A slow cooker has high and low settings. Some models will automatically switch from one to the other during the cooking time. A roaster has a temperature dial that you set.

They would probably do the same things but require different cooking sequences and times.