Crock-pot question: seal function?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flavio

Assistant Cook
I have never used a crock pot before and I'm still waiting to get my Morphy Richards Flavour Savour slow cooker that I ordered this week.

This beauty combines three different functions: seal, fast stew and slow cook.

I'm not entirely sure how to use the seal function, though.

I believe it browns the meat before slow cooking, since you can't use raw meat in these pots.

But I also read somewhere that you should use it after slow cooking to make the outside of the food crisp and crunchy, whereas the inside remains soft and juicy.

How do I use it properly? Can I combine both techniques (before & after) in one single meal?

Do I have to seal other ingredients (e.g. fish, vegetables) or is it just meat?

Thanks in advance, guys! :)

Last edited:
I have no idea. I'm still using the slow cooker I received as a wedding present 30 years ago. It doesn't have a seal function :LOL:

Just be patient. Your slow cooker will come with instructions on how to use it, and probably recipes as well. And manufacturers often put user manuals online now, so you could do a search for your model to get reliable information.

Nice looking pot!

Wow, it just hit me. A manufacturer is saying in the name of its appliance function that browning meat seals it. I assume that means seals in the juices. Flavio, that theory has been disproved, just fyi.

Nice looking pot!

Wow, it just hit me. A manufacturer is saying in the name of its appliance function that browning meat seals it. I assume that means seals in the juices. Flavio, that theory has been disproved, just fyi.

Yeah... it's more properly called searing (I thought it was a typo when I first read it), and it just caramelizes the surface and adds great flavor, but does not seal in the juices. You can dry out a seared piece of meat just as readily as one that hasn't been seared.

I too thought seal and sear was lost in translation until PF's link.

GG & RPCookin are correct.

But either way it looks like a nice device and I hope you enjoy it while you experiment with it and find out just what it can do and how it fit's "your" needs. :yum:

Looks much better then what is sold in the U.S. as a slow cooker/crock pot.

Last edited:
Wonderful tips, thanks for your replies guys! :)

I didn't know the difference between seal / sear.

I am not a counter top slow cooker guy, my wife loves them she has 4 crock pots {well 3 of them are for entertaining, more like food keeper warmers}. One of hers has a stir mode, so it stirs your food every set interval and you can check it from your iphone..... To me I am not impressed, a slow cooker to me is my smoker.. Although that unit you got looks interesting..

NOW, a friend of mine who is a chef, has what he calls a slow cooker in his house, its a commercial single burner induction unit that is able to go super low, and this old super thick pan... I seen him pour a whiskey and wine in there and slice up 3 lbs of beautiful filets with potatoes and onions, no seasonings at all.. A day later it tasted amazing... I dont think he washes that pan, it came off of an old ship, it was probably for changing the oil in an engine of some sort, lol.. But it works..

Anyway as far as sealing, I would just follow what ever recipe you are following... I would think meats are the only items..

Last edited:
I have never used a crock pot before and I'm still waiting to get my Morphy Richards Flavour Savour slow cooker that I ordered this week.

This beauty combines three different functions: seal, fast stew and slow cook.

I'm not entirely sure how to use the seal function, though.

I believe it browns the meat before slow cooking, since you can't use raw meat in these pots.

But I also read somewhere that you should use it after slow cooking to make the outside of the food crisp and crunchy, whereas the inside remains soft and juicy.

Not sure what the instructions for your device will tell you, and I don't think I've ever tried browning after slow cooking, but what I'm picturing in my head is a tender piece of slow-cooked meat sizzling away on a hot surface, drying out, while its wet surface prevents it from browning quickly.

When I do it, I pat the meat dry, season it, brown it in a hot skillet, then put it in the cooker.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom