"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Here's a recipe for chili that you cook in a crockpot (it uses ground beef!)

MeanMeals.com - Crockpot Chili - Create and share your personal list of meals and recipes

Old 03-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
As a former single parent, I used this recipe, or let's say a method, quite often. I'd get some chicken legs, pork chops, or beef ribs, wrap them in cheese cloth, then toss them in the crockpot with a can of pork and beans and a bottle of barbeque sauce, turn it on low, and go to work. When I got home, everything would be done, and, because the meat was wrapped in the cheesecloth, the meat didn't fall off the bones into the beans, and I never had to fish around for those tiny little bones that get caught in your kid's throat and require a trip to the ER!

Old 03-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #13
Senior Cook

The slow cooker is not only for winter but is especially good in the summer when you don't want to heat up your house.
Yesterday I put an onion, some garlic, couple of carrots and celery stems cut into big pieces, a few chicken pieces (thighs and legs) in the slow cooker with salt and peppercorns - cooked on low until I got home. I strained it and took the meat off the bone. I used the meat for a sesame chicken salad and froze the broth. Not a very exciting recipe but I do this fairly often. I also like to put the chicken on the bbq with my favourite sauce - I find that chicken cooked on the bbq gets dry and burnt on the outside by the time the inside is cooked but with the slow cooker the chicken is cooked when I get home and I just add a bit of that bbq flavour while I make up some veggies to go with the chicken.
I don't always want heavy stews so I use the cooker to cook meat for salads or burritos (shredded beef & pork works really well) and freeze the broth for future use.

Here are some good sites for recipes:
Slow Cooker Recipes
Citytv | CityLine | Show Guide<- look at Jan 17
This site has great advise:
Citytv | CityLine | Food and Entertaining | Entertaining 101Top 10 Slow Cooker Recipes - MSN Lifestyle - Food & Entertaining

Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #14
Head Chef

Just a reminder, Jurdoc, to brown your ground beef (or turkey or chicken) before you put it into the crock pot with the rest of the ingredients. Otherwise, you'll end up with mush ...

Our personal favorite in my home is split pea soup with ham.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to mraa Send a message via Yahoo to mraa
If you like spicy, this is one of our family favorites. We saw it on the PBS show 'Everyday Food' and have liked it since then.

Spicy Pulled Pork

Good luck!

P.S. ~ Sorry, I forgot you said ground beef, so use it another time ...
Old 03-01-2007, 02:10 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Is it possible to do a chicken casserole in the crock pot. Also, if you use egg noodles, do they need to be cooked first.
Thanks for any info - Jeannie sue
Old 03-01-2007, 02:10 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger
Just a reminder, Jurdoc, to brown your ground beef (or turkey or chicken) before you put it into the crock pot with the rest of the ingredients.
That is a very good reminder JMediger
with out browning the meat in many recipes (stews, chili, etc) you won't get a good taste and texture. (Recipes that you would normally brown the meat you must brown the meat before putting in a slow cooker.)

Old 03-01-2007, 02:14 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanniesue
Is it possible to do a chicken casserole in the crock pot. Also, if you use egg noodles, do they need to be cooked first.
Thanks for any info - Jeannie sue
You can do casseroles here are some recipes
Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Hot Dish - Chicken Enchilada Casserole, Slow Cooker
Chicken and Broccoli Casserole Recipe

for egg noodles you should not add them until the end or they will become really over cooked.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I love my crockpot and use it all year long. Plus, as someone mentioned, it's great to use in the warmer months to keep your kitchen cooler.

Here's a recipe I developed a couple of months ago:

KATIE'S CROCK-POT GARLIC ROASTED CHICKEN
(Serves 6 to 8)
1 (4- to 5-lb.) roasting chicken
Salt and freshly ground pepper black pepper
Paprika
4 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 stick butter, softened
&#189; cup chicken broth

Sprinkle the chicken, inside and out, with salt, pepper and paprika. In a small bowl, combine the butter and garlic, along with a generous amount of paprika. Stir until blended. At the neck of the chicken, lift the skin from the breast and loosen as far down as possible. Spread about half of the butter mixture under the skin. Press on top of the skin to uniformly distribute the butter mixture. Put about half of the remaining butter mixture into the cavity of the chicken. Add the chicken broth to the remaining butter and cook at 30% power in the microwave until the butter melts. Place the bird in the slow cooker and pour the butter/broth into cooker.

Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour. Reduce to LOW and cook for at least 6 to 7 hours longer, until tender and juices run clear. Serve the garlic butter sauce with the chicken.

All you have to add for a complete meal is a green veggie and some noodles or mashed potatoes and dessert. It's so easy and great for Sunday dinner.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:44 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Katie E, that sounds delicious! I think I'll try that recipe myself one Sunday. Or maybe this coming Monday! But I think I'll use the Crock Pot BBQ Pit so that the chicken fits.

I also make a mean nacho cheese dip in the slow cooker, using pre-browned ground beef or turkey, Velveeta cheese, a can of diced tomatoes and seasonings, let it slow cook for and hour or so, and Voiila, a nice spicy hot nacho dip!!

Be careful though, as it can easily overcook and the cheese will break! If that happens, it's no good and you'll have to start all over again!!